General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

94 Firebird A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Firebird A/C not working

Recently picked up a 94 firebird and after multiple hot days I've gotta get the a/c working. Im suspecting something's blocked, I put the gauges on it, static pressures read about 100 on the low and 120 about on the high. With the system on, and compressor on, low side goes into vacuum, and high side is about 195. I'm thinking it's the expansion valve, so I already picked up a new one and a dryer.

I've also read that the evaporator could get blocked, is there any way to check that? I really don't wanna put this all back together just to tear it apart again because there's still a problem.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jad104905
Recently picked up a 94 firebird and after multiple hot days I've gotta get the a/c working. Im suspecting something's blocked, I put the gauges on it, static pressures read about 100 on the low and 120 about on the high. With the system on, and compressor on, low side goes into vacuum, and high side is about 195. I'm thinking it's the expansion valve, so I already picked up a new one and a dryer.

I've also read that the evaporator could get blocked, is there any way to check that? I really don't wanna put this all back together just to tear it apart again because there's still a problem.
Your static split shows there is a clog in the system. It could be the expansion valve or something else. The evaporator, condenser, compressor or any line clog can cause this issue. When you replace the expansion valve be sure to clean and flush the entire system. Most auto stores sell the cleaning/flush stuff. Don't forget to dry out the entire system with dry compressed air and vacuum it before recharging.

Quick Reply: 94 Firebird A/C not working