General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New IAT Sensor, Still Reading the Same

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New IAT Sensor, Still Reading the Same

Scanning my PCM to read codes and look at some data, I noticed that my IAT was reading 35.6*F...in 80 degree heat. No change, up or down even after letting the car sit for about 10 minutes just idling. So, I roll down to the auto parts store and purchase a replacement sensor. Pop it in, no change. Still reading 35.6*F. I haven't had a chance to check the harness or anything else...

Any thoughts on what might be the cause of this. Original sensor didn't bad. Looked fairly clean. No check engine for the sensor.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you sure its F and not C? Add a little temperature to the engine bay and I could see it reading 35* C.

If it is F, then I'd still check to make sure the sensor is good. You should be able to look up the resistance tables for the sensor and then measure the resistance with an ohmmeter.

If the sensor checks out and the PCM is still reading an incorrect resistance, you might have some corrosion, etc. somewhere. (Increased resistance would indicate a lower temperature.) You might even jump the sensor connector and see if the car properly reads an insanely high temperature.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Here's the table.

If the new sensor reads exactly the same it could be a wiring issue or someone has put a resistor in the circuit to trick the PCM into using a more aggressive fuel/timing strategy.
Attached Thumbnails New IAT Sensor, Still Reading the Same-ectohms.jpg  

Quick Reply: New IAT Sensor, Still Reading the Same