Steering wheel issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Steering wheel issues.

Good day Fellow memebers!

I recently bought another 98 Camaro SS.

Im running into an issue the wheel is not locking when the car is off. You can move the wheels while the car is off.

Also, when the car is on and i try to make a turn i notice that it doesn have a stopping point for the wheel. The wheel was changed because it has an 02 stereo controls on it. I also seen the wheel is off to the right instead of being centered.

Im not to familiar with this section so any help is greatly appreciated.

THank you.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Behind the steering wheel, there's a pin that goes through a plate when the key is turned to the off position to lock the wheel. You'd have to take the wheel off to check those parts.

As for the steering wheel not being centered, an alignment to adjust steer ahead will correct it.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, your lock pin is stuck down or the spring is broken.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by txh0tb0i972
Im running into an issue the wheel is not locking when the car is off. You can move the wheels while the car is off.
Someone was in your column and didn't put it back together right. The lock plate is in picture 16 of this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html There is also an interlock between the pin that engages the lock plate and the key cylinder that could also be screwed up.

If you are comfortable removing the airbag, I wouldn't shy away from tearing in to the column and learning about how it works, but for a problem this deep, it might be good if you did it with someone who has worked on a GM column before.

Also, when the car is on and i try to make a turn i notice that it doesn have a stopping point for the wheel.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is your turn signal not canceling?

I also seen the wheel is off to the right instead of being centered.
This could be because the new wheel was not put on at the right angle or it could be because the last person to do an alignment on the car didn't know what they were doing. (The alignment tech should work to get the wheel straight.) If it's just a few degrees off, its the alignment because putting the wheel on wrong would put you at least 5 degrees out of whack.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel issues.