General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle at idle that disappears when Clutch is pressed in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rattle at idle that disappears when Clutch is pressed in?

SO my car has been doing this for a very long time and I've thought nothing of it. The car has 170k on it and at idle, if I just put the car in neutral instead of holding the clutch in at a stop, the car makes a rather audible rattling sound. This disappears completely when the clutch is engaged. Is this a 'throw out' bearing?
Old 08-08-2015, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
SO my car has been doing this for a very long time and I've thought nothing of it. The car has 170k on it and at idle, if I just put the car in neutral instead of holding the clutch in at a stop, the car makes a rather audible rattling sound. This disappears completely when the clutch is engaged. Is this a 'throw out' bearing?
My car does the same thing and has for a while. I'm not too worried about it. I've heard is common for the T56 to do that.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Now this is for MY car. Not sure about yours but I have a 99 c5 6spd that does the exact same thing however my rattle is ridiculously loud that is not the normal t56 rattle. I replaced throw out bearing based off of everybody's opinions, didn't do a damn thing. Jacked car up, turn over and put it in first and wheels spin when in any gear but still rattles in any gear. My mind is on driveshaft bearing(s) or tranny related. Car is supposed to have a stage V rpm tranny and mallett diff. Not sure what to fix.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Idahoctsv
Now this is for MY car. Not sure about yours but I have a 99 c5 6spd that does the exact same thing however my rattle is ridiculously loud that is not the normal t56 rattle. I replaced throw out bearing based off of everybody's opinions, didn't do a damn thing. Jacked car up, turn over and put it in first and wheels spin when in any gear but still rattles in any gear. My mind is on driveshaft bearing(s) or tranny related. Car is supposed to have a stage V rpm tranny and mallett diff. Not sure what to fix.
Never said normal, I said common. I forget why though. You saying yours is worse? If so, have you checked your pilot bearing? If it is wearing out quickly, check transmission to engine alignment. Some times those alignment pins on the block wear out.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine does this same **** but I haven't had the fund/time to figure out what is wrong. Doesn't seem to effect driving so I've let it be for the last three years.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.rsgear.com/articles/2008_08.pdf

Neutral gear rollover noise is quite common on manual transmissions. Some have it worse than others. Installing more powerful engines with mismatched or unbalanced clutches can tip things further and result in even more noise. A simple shifter change from the factory sound-deadened one to a solid metal bar performance stick will increase the noise too. While neutral rollover is common and won't hurt your drive train, an input shaft bearing problem makes similar noises and will cause a problem.

If you made it to 170K miles w/o an issue, probably just normal rollover noise as trans gears rattle back and forth. A throw out bearing noise would show up with the clutch pedal depressed. Rollover is just the opposite as it goes away with the clutch pedal depressed (ie input shaft disconnected from the trans).

Quick Reply: Rattle at idle that disappears when Clutch is pressed in?