General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC condenser questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default AC condenser questions

I am resto-modding a 94 LT1 into my 68 Impala and have a question about the condenser. For ease of engine installation and various transmission lines and coolant hose hook ups, I also installed the same year radiator and condenser. Right now, both are centered and the radiator is clearing the hood when its closed. Are condensers vehicle specific or more specific to the refrigerant being used? The lower condenser connection is directly in the way of the radiator drain tube. I cut off a portion of the drain to see if it would help clearance, but it didn't. Due to crossmember clearance issues, the AC compressor is mounted on the driver side of the engine and want to know if I can use any other condenser or will I have to use this one? It appears that most cars have the compressor mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle with all the various hoses and connections on the same side as well. Thanks
Old 08-30-2015, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AC condenser questions

I believe the condenser needs to be size matched to the rest of the system; compressor and evaporator. So you'll need to see if the evaporator you have is the same size as the one from the donor vehicle, or use the original equipment. It doesn't have to be exact, but close.

Also, you'll want to check to make sure the part's all use the same refrigerant. IIRC, the 94 system uses R134a. My 1995 does and I believe they are the same 94-95.

Last edited by hrcslam; 08-30-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spoke with a local AC parts store and the counter guy said that I can use any high-efficiency condenser that would fit. I'll just keep this one.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if there's any significant size difference along with length changes to hoses then you may want to add or subtract an ounce of oil from the system.
technically any larger sized condenser will work you would need to add extra r134a refrigerant to get the same high and low side pressures. if you reduce the size of the condenser from oem then you will need to subtract refrigerant, and if you don't improve cooling performance thru the smaller condenser then you'll have a reduction in ac cooling.

Quick Reply: AC condenser questions