General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

grounded out the altenator

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grounded out the altenator

I have a 98 ta with original motor so nothing fancy and it's an m6. I was backing up and when the car started jerking, the warning lights in the dash all started to flash but car didn't hesitate. Shut it down and found that the power steering line had touched the altenator bolt (the boot slid down). So I have everything to change out, I just want to know what wires to trace to make sure nothing is burnt up. I don't have a lift so I just want to be sure I don't miss any wiring to check that isn't in plain view.
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What do you have to change out? Did you have arcing?

I wouldn't think you would have to change any wires unless some terminals fried in the process. The short/electricity would have gone through other metal parts and not the wiring, so everything else should be fine if the hose just caused the problem.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
What do you have to change out? Did you have arcing?

I wouldn't think you would have to change any wires unless some terminals fried in the process. The short/electricity would have gone through other metal parts and not the wiring, so everything else should be fine if the hose just caused the problem.
Luckily I got access to a lift and got it all sorted out....from what I could see, only the altenator pigtail wire burt up a little ways so I wrapped it up and replaced the wire loom. The wire nut on the new altenator was higher up and far away from that power steering line, so it shouldn't happen again. It was the ps line that runs along the rack by the way.
Thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: grounded out the altenator