General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking Radiator, replace or any way to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Leaking Radiator, replace or any way to fix?

Hi everyone,

I noticed some weird idling the other day (cooling fans were going crazy) at a stop light and looked down to see my temp was elevated. As soon as I started driving the temps went back down but I knew something wasn't right. I got home and checked the coolant and the dip stick was dry. I waited until the car cooled down and popped the radiator cap and there was no liquid inside. Admittedly I haven't checked my fluid in a while and so was just hoping it was due to my negligence but after refilling and driving the past couple of days it once again was near dry (I had overfilled by accident and the bit of leaking I was seeing under the car was wishful thinking that it was just the overflow).

So my question is barring a cracked coolant line or a crack in the fill tube do people recommend repairing (if even possible) or just buy a replacement?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's leaking from the aluminum you can use JB Quick to repair it on the cheap. If it's leaking from the plastic tanks you will want to replace it. Even if the repair holds it means the plastic is brittle and it will just fail again somewhere else in short order and most likely sometime that is very inconvenient for you.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would just go ahead and replace it. I found a brand new radiator deal at advanced auto after an online rebate for $95. Just shop around, deals are always to be had with stock radiators. The only thing I would say is be very careful installing the new radiator and watch for the overfill tube. Don't crack it off of a brand new radiator. I did before because I was getting frustrated with getting the old one out and I was going to fast putting the new one in and the overfill tube on the neck got snapped. Thankfully I traded that 3.8L car in a few months later. lol
Old 11-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bummer, took it to my shop and they pressure tested it. Needs replacing.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Now would be a good time to upgrade to an LT1 radiator.

Quick Reply: Leaking Radiator, replace or any way to fix?