General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Must be Horn switches

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Must be Horn switches

Riding home and hit the horn button on the wheel... Nothing. Apply pressure and nothing.... Get home and hit lock with the key fob and horn beeps. Searched and the majority of the results point to the switches. Does this sound about right??? Really do not want to fool with the airbag, but it looks as if pulling the ground and waiting 15 minutes should do the trick to keep it from blowing up on me.

Please advise???
Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

It could also be the horn wire or turn signal cam.

BTW - If it is the turn signal cam, (it's common for the socket in the cam that holds the horn wire to break) you'll want to replace the turn signal return springs while you are down in there. (They don't last too long past 100K miles, often.)

That's the guidance for removing the airbag. I also recommend grounding yourself before you do the work (touch a piece of metal) and keep your face as far away from the thing as possible at all times. Basically - just treat the thing like a bomb. (Because it is.)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess I will start with the switches and work my way to the other possible problems..... Would not bother me too much, but inspection here in Louisiana demands it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Must be Horn switches