General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Out Tail lights bulb socket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out Tail lights bulb socket?

I bought some new tail lights for my car and now that I'm about to install them, I discovered that my current tail light (the outer one) will not fit. It's too big. The tail light size that will fit in the new one is a Sylvania 194 or T10. Can I just buy the T10/194 connector and do some wire splicing and add it? Or am I better off boring my new tail lights to match my current tail light set up?

Here's a picture to illustrate what I'm referring to:

Out Tail lights bulb socket?-50ozxc1.jpg
Old 02-17-2016, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can we reach 200 views and 0 replies?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

depends on the wiring and what was done previously? what is the tail light off of? I know I've heard of guys doing mods to squeeze a full size bulb into the outer bulb location on a firebird/trans am that required playing with the wiring so it would blink with the turn signals, if this is the case then you could in theory remove the wire that is tapped into the "bright" positive (positive power for brakes and turns) and rewire the negative and "dim" positive (parking lights) to a replacement 194 socket.

it really is up to you to decide how much work you want to put into it.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
depends on the wiring and what was done previously? what is the tail light off of? I know I've heard of guys doing mods to squeeze a full size bulb into the outer bulb location on a firebird/trans am that required playing with the wiring so it would blink with the turn signals, if this is the case then you could in theory remove the wire that is tapped into the "bright" positive (positive power for brakes and turns) and rewire the negative and "dim" positive (parking lights) to a replacement 194 socket.

it really is up to you to decide how much work you want to put into it.
I was just wanting to know if I can buy the connector/socket that fits into the new tail light and just splice and be done with it.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShovelMan
I was just wanting to know if I can buy the connector/socket that fits into the new tail light and just splice and be done with it.
WELL I ANSWERED THAT, I also explained why you could be in this situation to start with, until YOU ANWSER with what the wiring looks like (like whether someone has messed with it in the past, which is most likely, and guaranteed if you are a firebird or trans am) then we can't say for sure, most likely all that will need to be done is the ELIMINATION of the extra wire that feeds the bright (brake light and turn signal positive power), then you could just wire the ground and the dim (parking light) positive to the replacement 194 socket.

it's NOT a simple yes or no, it's an it's up to you if you want to lose the extra brake light/turn signal and just have a parking light in that position, so you either have to remove the extra wire (that needs to be identified) or modify the new housing to fit the bulb there, it depends on what YOU are more comfortable doing, like do you have the tools or know-how to test electrical circuits and determine which of the 3 wires running to that bulb is the turn signal/brake positive wire.

Quick Reply: Out Tail lights bulb socket?