General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant dripping from K-Member.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Coolant dripping from K-Member.

This issue just started.
While replacing my Alternator I found drips of coolant on my Swaybar, well after driving it, of course the leaking didnt get any better. I moved the car to find a puddle of coolant on the ground. I looked under it and found the K-Member to be dripping coolant in several places. I checked back up to, all hoses seem secure. Coolant Temp Sensor also has no signs of leaks. Checking with engine running and I couldnt see any hoses leaking or the temp sensor.

All the hoses are new, temp sensor is aswell. Water pump is also fairly new.

I am begginning to worry that a headgasket is getting ready to let go. I have 202k miles, however; I have no white smoke, no accelleration hesitation either. I was thinking possibly the water pump gaskets may have come undone. I'll check them tomorrow. but does anyone have any idea?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

odd to be leaking in several places
Old 02-17-2016, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
odd to be leaking in several places
I'm really beginning to worry about something. I remember when I replaced the pump, two of the bolts had heads that were rounded off. I went to a Home Depot to find replacements. I am very worried that those replacements may have rusted out in the block... meaning Im going to be in for absolute hell when I remove that pump. Do you think this may be whats happening?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not common for a headgasket to fail and leak outside of the motor. You need to completely clean all signs of coolant and then let the car run while searching for a source.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by N20zuki
It's not common for a headgasket to fail and leak outside of the motor. You need to completely clean all signs of coolant and then let the car run while searching for a source.
Sourced the leak to the Water Pump. Im worried its those bolts I mentioned before. Im going to attempt to remove it tomorrow.

Meanwhile I just bought a 2015 V6 Camaro for a commuter car, brand new 10 miles on the odometer, Reason I went for it is because Chevy gave me a $6,000 rebate off of MSRP, literally $6k off a brand new car turning it into a steal. I kept my Z28 aswell and no longer have to rely on it as a DD.

Quick Reply: Coolant dripping from K-Member.