General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default AC question

when I got my car 6 years ago the AC worked. After a cam install it hasn't worked, guy must have undid a hose and put it back on. Well, car is a vert and never really cared if the AC worked. Thinking that I might see about getting it working this summer. what do you think I will need? obviously will need to at least be vacuumed out and new freon. will I need a new receiver/dryer too? anything else?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put a set of gauges on it.... u can take it to a shop and ask for a quick evaluation if there is any charge in the system... having all AC/heat controls off you'll check what the static pressure is. That will give you an idea if the thing is completely empty, which if it is then would support your theory and no harm at this point of undoing hoses. You will need a new "accumulator" and no sense in not getting a new orifice tube. O-tubes are $5, take old one out and inspect if clean then should be easy to get the ac working again. if the screen in the otube is full of glittery metal or sludge and the oil is not clean then you're probably looking at a full ac overhaul including new compressor.
But if everything checks out and looks clean then new accumulator, add the 3-4 oz of makeup PAG oil for accumulator replacement, vacuum and see if it holds then charge.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hand over hand all the hoses, fittings, and compressor casing just to be sure there is no wetness or "shaved" pipes. I went through changing out multiple components 2 years ago only to discover while I had leaks, we missed one on the high pressure line where the metal rubbed down until it was worn completely through causing a pin hole. Before that point the shop replaced the HP cutout switch which I didn't even need. The HP line ran around $80.

The low pressure line/recevier-drier runs from $25-$45. Not likely that wasn't contaminated by sitting for so long depressurized. The compressors often end up with seal or casing leaks. Ensure there's no moisture on the underside of the casing. A new compressor is anywhere from $185-$350 depending on the quality and guarantee.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-16-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default kit

I just got an Omega kit off ebay for $250. All new and nitrogen sealed. Pump, seals, pag oil 150, orifice tube, accumulator and condenser. My pump was leaking oil from every where. They do self destruct after a while but lm lucky theres still clean oil and no metal in the system anywhere. I have some 141b cleaner to blow out the ac core in the dash. Then vacuum for an hour and fill with Freon. I hope this pump lasts like the old one. Got over 10 yrs in Florida with it.

Quick Reply: AC question