General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Speed bump then it died -

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed bump then it died -

To make a long story, short; I hit a large speed bump at about 30 Mph in my 2000 Trans Am (If you ever pass thru Lafayette, Indiana - watch out for large speed bumps in the middle of busy two lane roads). At any rate, I hit the speed bump hard and the car shut down - no loss of fluids, only took a shot to the bottom of the headers.
The motor will spin over, but no signal from the PCM to turn on the fuel pump, so no fuel pressure. no spark to the plugs, and nothing at the injectors, and the only thing I get from the OBD2 is loss of communication...(the OBD2 scanner worked fine before this on this car)
I sent the PCM in to get checked out (by A1CarDone) and they said everything was fine.
Not sure where to check next ...I don't think theres a security shut off on these cars that I know of. Can anyone help, I'm just guessing...
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you check all your fuses? Especially check the PCM fuses.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis 2000AD
I don't think theres a security shut off on these cars that I know of. Can anyone help, I'm just guessing...
There is, by the name of VATS. If the BCM doesn't get the right voltage from the key resistor then your car will not start.

When you hit that bump you may have jiggled something loose in the ignition switch. The wires inside of it are very frail as is and if one of them come loose then it cant send the signal to the BCM to confirm that you're using the correct key. Also there is a green wire under the dash that goes from the BCM to a group of connectors under the passenger side kick panel. If it comes loose or de-pins, your car will not start.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Lup
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since there was no communication with the PCM on the scan tool, check fuses. Check all fuses.
Vats, I believe kills only the fuel injectors (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Not the fuel pump AND injectors AND spark..

I have Family that lives in and around Lafayette, Indiana.. Every street is a gamble...

Good Luck
Kyle
Old 07-03-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lup
Since there was no communication with the PCM on the scan tool, check fuses. Check all fuses.
Vats, I believe kills only the fuel injectors (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Not the fuel pump AND injectors AND spark..

I have Family that lives in and around Lafayette, Indiana.. Every street is a gamble...

Good Luck
Kyle
VATS kills the fuel PUMP not the injectors. It also kills the Starter.

Quick Reply: Speed bump then it died -