General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Are doors supposed to leak this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are doors supposed to leak this bad?

I have a 2000 SS that I bought new. Long story short a few years ago the car was in the body shop 3 times to fix my drivers side door and it is still not right. My insurance sent me there and the dump is now out of business. The door panel is still off because they never finished the job.

Anyway, the door and window seem to line up pretty good. Weatherstrip seems fine. Thing is, since the door panel is off I can see inside of the door. When it rains there seems to be a lot of water that flows in. I know some water can get in, that's why there are drain holes in the bottom of the door but it seems excessive. Maybe they all leak this bad and you just don't know because it's hidden...

Last night I went through a car wash and filmed it. Granted this may be more than driving in the rain but it's not far off.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 329 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Q3131A
Maybe they all leak this bad and you just don't know because it's hidden...
Correct. BTW - Cool video.

The only thing that keeps water out is a thin strip of felt on the outer side of the glass. As this gets old, more water will get in. It's nothing to worry about because this is normal and... your door is composite.

The biggest worry would be the water rusting up the window hardware/regulator, but that's covered in so much grease it should be largely immune.

When the door is back together, you should have a plastic sheet/vapor barrier between the door and your decorative door panel. This is what will keep the moisture from coming inside the car.

There's a good conversation going on now about the window felts, if you are interested: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...dow-felts.html

Quick Reply: Are doors supposed to leak this bad?