General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is this spring I found in floor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this spring I found in floor?

2001 Camaro SS. Looked down one day and found in drivers side floor under my feet. I was assuming it goes to clutch pedal but who knows.

I found a diagram that showed it up under dash awhile back but totally forgot where I saw it.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the spring for the clutch pedal.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:17 AM
Teching In

yep clutch pedal return spring and it is broke
Old 07-29-2016, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

I have the service manuals as can be seen in pictures. I was doing a quick look at replacing clutch pedal but diagrams didn't show spring. I gave up because I was hot and tired.

Just finished fixing exhaust. The connections on both cats were totally disintegrated and no longer connected to Y pipe. Also did plugs and wires. Now I know why I put that off so long.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Okay, found it. Part # 10278874.

As I was looking around someone had posted about theirs squeaking. My clutch pedal did that since new. Come to think of it, that annoying sound has went away since this spring fell out.

Thing is like $30 and lots of posts about leaving it out. Maybe I won't worry about it.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 329 Likes on 301 Posts

STOP!!! Before you go any further and get a new spring, you should read up on the Tick Master Cylinder and contemplate upgrading. (It's, of course, convenient to do when you are due for a new clutch.)

The clutch pedal return spring is a notorious Achilles Heel for us and they don't last long and... they are a PITA to install: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rn-spring.html

The Tick MC requires that the spring be removed. Once you go that way - life is great. You get a tighter pedal with more feel and don't have to worry about a breaking or squeaky spring.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
STOP!!! Before you go any further and get a new spring, you should read up on the Tick Master Cylinder and contemplate upgrading. (It's, of course, convenient to do when you are due for a new clutch.)

The clutch pedal return spring is a notorious Achilles Heel for us and they don't last long and... they are a PITA to install: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rn-spring.html

The Tick MC requires that the spring be removed. Once you go that way - life is great. You get a tighter pedal with more feel and don't have to worry about a breaking or squeaky spring.
THIS ^^

You have no idea how much awesome you can add with that mod.

Although it doesn't require the spring to be removed, it simply recommends it.

Last edited by szalkerous; 08-18-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: What is this spring I found in floor?