General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 camaro wont crank at all

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 camaro wont crank at all

Hey guys, this is a v6 car, but with all of the wiring diagrams i have seen they are basically the same starting wise.

I'm doing a sbc swap in my car, old engine always started no problem. I got the engine in, hooked the starter up, and I got nothing.

I am not getting 12v to the purple starter wire here is everything i have found out and have done:

- grounded yellow/black wire at relay, did not work. When i took a meter on the connectors of the relay, i got 12v at the red wire, yellow/black wire had 0.07v and was already grounded (got an ohm reading from yellow/black to ground) nothing changed when i hit the key, purple wire, nothing when i hit the key, green wire had nothing when i hit the key

- redid all grounds, and everything seems to be working fine except the oil pressure gauge, it is pegged at the max. when I took the meter on the wires the tan wire was ground and the black wire i could not trace (i thought it was suppose to be the opposite)

- switched relays, once again did nothing

- plugged in old sensors from the wiring harness including the icm and alternator.

- when i put the key in, the gauge cluster lights do the bulb check and go out like normal, security light comes on and goes out and the fuel pump will prime.

I'm at a loss here on what to do next. I can wire up a push button start but I was really wanting to use the key and keep everything looking stock. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance for any help
Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just messed with it some more, I read that the black/yellow wire has to be cut from the icm, so I cut it at the starter relay and grounded it and still nothing.

I have 12v when I hit the key on the mini starter fuse on one terminal and a very low voltage when I hit the key on the other terminal.

I don't recall if I mentioned it earlier but the neutral safety switch is working
Old 12-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Help changed ignition cylinder for vats problem and now the car still won't start unless I Jump the starter relay to the hot wire
Old 12-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Teching In

the car started with the steering wheel off and all the way up till I drove to the store then it wouldn't start back I beat the relay Box it started but now I have to jump the relay to start it 2001 firebird with 3800 v6
Old 12-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Anybody got a idea of what I can do that will fix this problem besides walking 28 miles to work

Quick Reply: 98 camaro wont crank at all