General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car will not start turn over, Security Light is on

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Car will not start turn over!, Security Light Is on, Details Inside!

I have been driving the car for about three hundred miles with the security light on, No flashing,Yesterday i started the car and looked and the security light was off! So i was headed to gas station and turned off car while pumping, got in to start and nothing! Its just like when you try to start it with the clutch out! While the ignition key is on now the security light is on and blinking!
I have tried my spare key, it does the same thing,
I dont know if the ignition is screwed up or what, i checked alot of the connections and seemed to be good!
Could the ignition be bad!
Like i said it was running no problem with the security light on solid for the last 300 miles, now Nothing and security light flashing.
Is anybody familiar with this?
What can i do to test this?

This is a 2000 transam 6speed with factory security system!
The clutch depress sensor is fine!

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Try removing the positive and negative battery cables for 30 minutes and see if it clears.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had that happen to me a few times

the problem is with your key.
you dont see the dirt (i didnt either) but trust me... its dirty.

how i fixed it three times now: clean the key really well. make sure it's spotless clean and above all - DRY when you insert it into ignition.

watch it work
Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Same think happened to me on my Monte Carlo. I had to go to a locksmith to have a key made. They could not read the vin or code off the key. So they had to fax a copy of my registration and insurance to GM to get a code. Cost me 40 bucks for a set of keys!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reckless
Try removing the positive and negative battery cables for 30 minutes and see if it clears.
i tried removing the positive cable for 5 minutes when this happened and nothing happened!
I will try removing both for 30 minutes and see if it will happen!
Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Probably VATS. Can you pull the codes? If you have EFILive or HP Tuners you can disable it for the time being.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
i had that happen to me a few times

the problem is with your key.
you dont see the dirt (i didnt either) but trust me... its dirty.

how i fixed it three times now: clean the key really well. make sure it's spotless clean and above all - DRY when you insert it into ignition.

watch it work
I tryed to clean it off real good and nothing!
I tried the spare key and nothing!
Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VSGLS1
Probably VATS. If you have EFILive or HP Tuners you can disable it for the time being. You can get another key or hope the one you have cleans up good.
What is vats?
I have autotap, an earlier version!
Can this do it? If so how is it done?
Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Its the Vehicle Anti Theft System. I dont think you can turn it off with Autotap. Check your stored codes with the autotap if you can.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if the VATS wires coming off of the ignition switch are good. My 2001 Camaro SS recently had the same problem ... it turned out to be the wires, one was sheared off from the twisting of turning the ignition. Dealer cost to fix was $500!
Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Teching In

indeed its prob the ignition. I went to the store w my security light on (had been on for 3 months or so) turned it off came back and it wouldnt start. Had to have her towed to the dealer and ignition replaced w 2 new keys. like $4xx.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Impuls3
indeed its prob the ignition. I went to the store w my security light on (had been on for 3 months or so) turned it off came back and it wouldnt start. Had to have her towed to the dealer and ignition replaced w 2 new keys. like $4xx.
Thanks, thats exactly what mine did, probly gonna have to do this unless i someone knows a way to diagnose what exactly the problem is!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Launching!

i tried removing the positive cable for 5 minutes when this happened and nothing happened!
FYI always remove your negative first, and always connect your negative last. Jumper cables too!!!
Make sure your battery cables connections are clean also, I had the same thing happen to me, no warning. Ended up being a dirty battery connection.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chas1
FYI always remove your negative first, and always connect your negative last. Jumper cables too!!!
Make sure your battery cables connections are clean also, I had the same thing happen to me, no warning. Ended up being a dirty battery connection.
thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can bypass it by takeing a ohms meter and checking the resistance on the chip in the key by, reading across the chip, and then go to raidio shack and buy a resister to put between the two wires that goes to the key switch,that will fix it till you can get a new key switch. I took my key switch a part and sorderd the wire back on and it works fine that been over three years ago
Old 06-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
You can bypass it by takeing a ohms meter and checking the resistance on the chip in the key by, reading across the chip, and then go to raidio shack and buy a resister to put between the two wires that goes to the key switch,that will fix it till you can get a new key switch. I took my key switch a part and sorderd the wire back on and it works fine that been over three years ago
Can you be more specific on this!
What wire is it, where do i solder the resistor on at.
I just want to do this to get my car to pontiac to replace it!
I hate to have my car towed!
Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two small wires going to the key switch or to the tumbler they are two little white wires,you will haft to pull the sterring wheel off and you should see the broke wire .The key has a resister pellit on it it is the little siver thing serounded around black plastic near the upper end of the key, take a ohms meter and check the resistance between it or across it. then buy a resister and sorder it in between the two little white wires that will fool the computer and letting the car start,
Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 AM
Teching In

I saw somewhere a while back that you can put the resistor between the wires at the bottom of the steering column (near the floor). Is this true?
This would probably be a lot easier to do. Anybody know for sure on this and what color are the wires?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sunset SS
I saw somewhere a while back that you can put the resistor between the wires at the bottom of the steering column (near the floor). Is this true?
This would probably be a lot easier to do. Anybody know for sure on this and what color are the wires?
Yes this is what i would like to know!
I do not feel to much like going to the hassle of taking off the steering wheel! If this would be the case i would go ahead and let the dealership put in a new ignition switch!
Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Teching In

This is what I found somewhere on here a few months ago..I don't know if it works though... Maybe someone else online can verify this...Good LUCK!!!
VATS DISABLE The lock cylinder is about 90.00 from g.m. and the replacement keys are about 25.00 a piece this our cost on these parts at the shop. So you are about at 140.00 worth of parts. It only takes about 45 minutes to change the lock cylinder and that is nowhere near worth 360.00 labor. Or the easiest way out is to take a digital ohm meter set it on the 2k scale then put one probe on one side of the key and the other to the other side and read the resistance. Then go down to rad shack or others and get a resistor of this value about 1.00 worth of cost. Then cut the two white wires in the orange tubing at the base of the steering, and solder in the resistor. Putting one wire on each side of the resistor. Tape it all up with some 3m tape and you are good to go. It now mimics the ignition key and will never give you trouble ever again.

Quick Reply: Car will not start turn over, Security Light is on