Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

evap purge solenoid
Old 08-15-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

"I get the same problem. It's only with short-nozzle gas stations. The problem started when I visited a shell with a reaaaally long nozzle. From then on, this problem happened with short nozzle stations. Like it messed something up in there."

This is how my car is right now... the new shell station across the street has a really short nozzle and it won't fill up my car unless i jam it all the way in.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Teching In

damn, i had the same problem too
at a mobil my credit card ended up getting locked after two transactions totalling about 11 cents, drive across the street to a shell that was open and paid in cash, worked fine
Old 08-16-2006, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000badbird
evap purge solenoid
For the win!

I once broke the line for it, and I had an SES light, filling up was a pita, would click off every few cents, just like you guys, defintely look into the evap systems.

I pretty much gurantee thats what it is.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimboManJones
I pretty much gurantee thats what it is.
Does your guarantee hold even though I don't have an SES light?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Well give it some time? Mine came on after a week after I broke that line, its something to look into/test.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

The problem has been intermittant for over a year... but it has happened the last two times in a row...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by black_knight
Does your guarantee hold even though I don't have an SES light?
The PCM runs an evap test when it wants to, based on certain parameters. So it may run the test daily or not for a LOOONG time, depending on conditions, including how much you drive.

The evap purge solenoid is a definite possibility. Something in the evap system is very,very likely. We had one at the dealership I used to work at that was a real problem. wasn't my customer so I don't recall what exactly the problem was. I know they replaced the fuel tank/filler neck but don't know if that was the final fix or not.

Point is, you may not have a code yet but that doesn't mean you won't when it comes to the evap system.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by irnbru83
"I get the same problem. It's only with short-nozzle gas stations. The problem started when I visited a shell with a reaaaally long nozzle. From then on, this problem happened with short nozzle stations. Like it messed something up in there."

This is how my car is right now... the new shell station across the street has a really short nozzle and it won't fill up my car unless i jam it all the way in.
Yup, same problem here. She found a longer nozzle and that was the last I ever saw of her! Jamming it all the way in no longer did me any good!

Sorry for the NC, but the mental image this post drew was just too much to ignore.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine had the same problem w/ a 98 camaro. It would not take gas from a pump, but you could put it in fine from a gas can. It would take 5 gallons from a can without a spill, but all you could pump was about 5-10 cents. And we tried several stations with no luck. He stuck a rod down the filler neck and rammed it a couple times, and he's been putting gas at the pump ever since. My guess is a checkball or flap is hanging up, and the evap not bleeding the pressure from the tank does sound like a good cause. My friend probably just broke the flap by forcing the rod in.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Its definitely not just cali. mine does that at empty randomly and I will go to three or four gas stations here in texas and none of them work. It just acts like it is full and keeps kicking off. Nobody I know has been able to figure it out. I normally wait till the next morning as well and everything works fine.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had two different situations when the EVAP system brought about the SES light on my car. Both times I had the same problem you guys are having, so it is a definite possibility. However, my problems were not related to the purge solenoid. IIRC, when there is a failure in the EVAP system, the solenoid is commanded to stay open to prevent this from happening. My problems were in the rear of the car, before it would reach the solenoid in the engine bay. I would check the hoses to and from the canister and the system filter. Just some food for thought for those still looking for a solution.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Teching In

I have a 1999 SS with 20k on it. My car seems to do the same at stations with the short nozzle. Never had a problem with Hess Mobil Sunoco. Only shitty small mom and pop stations.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

I've experienced this will my Mazda3 as well, and several rentals. It only seems to be the new nozzles (which is pretty much all of them now) that has the huge plastic accordian type sleeze that you have to press in. If you don't press it in, it just clicks and clicks off. I can fill the tanks, but it will cut off early once or twice. It's annoying. Sometimes I don't fill to the top because I don't want to risk fuel shooting out of the hole.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Banned

mine does this sometimes, it normally does it when i get to low fuel and i go to fill it up. my guess is that an air bubble is in the tank...a BIG air bubble! normally i just shake the car a little bit, give it a min. for the gas to settle in and then i start pumping again...never had a problem. plus u can watch the gallon gauge and you shouldnt go past 14 gallons (and thats when you are almost on empty!)
Old 12-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Launching!

my car does that where the pump shuts off when im pumping but it only does it when i squeeze the lever all the way. i have to press it half way and it wont shut off, takes a little longer to fill up but doesnt shut off every few seconds
Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

okay, this may sound a little bit ghetto, but when my car does this once in a blue moon, the attendant will turn the entire handle upside down and then pump with the whole thing inverted. Works every single time.

PS. In new jersey so I don't pump my own gas.......

suckers!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimes
suckers!
...um, okay. Don't you have to pay more than us?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black_knight
...um, okay. Don't you have to pay more than us?

Yup...along with State income tax, smog and lots of crime...and we're the suckers.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

My 98 T/A just started doing this tonight. It was pumping the gas real slow, then it started clicking off every few cents, then it finally started spewing the gas out. It was dead on empty...and I'm sure I only filled it up about half way...but the gauge is saying it's full. I tried going WOT for the whole way home to see if it would slosh it around and the needle would go down but it didn't. I've read on here about this problem...but from what I've read none of ya'll have had it say its full when its actually half or lower. Any ideas to what is causing it to say its on full? The sender maybe? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh...and I think i bent the flap at the top where you put the nozzle in when i tried turning the nozzle upside down. Now it won't close all the way...

Quick Reply: Help! Gas Won't Go IN Tank!