General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas Pedal Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Pedal Sticking

hey guys i have a 98 firebrid v6, fully loaded. last year the gas pedal stuck on me and the car went up to 90. i tried putting on the brakes, but it didnt help. the gas pedal was all the way to the floor and wouldnt come up. i ended up throwing it in neutral(its an a4) which blew my motor. i got a new motor for $3500 and told the dealer what happened. the said they dont know whats wrong and that they couldnt duplicate it,that it was probably the floor mat and its safe to drive. but it wasnt, because the floor mat wasnt even in the car that day. anyway about 4 months after i got the new motor in it did it again, but i turnded the car off and nothing happened. i have found other reports on the nhtsa website of this happening. if nobody can help me here, im going to call gm and see if they can do anything. i was thinking about selling the car for a t/a, but wouldnt want anybody to get killed. thanks in advance for any help.
steve
Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

It is probably your cruise control coming on for some reason. Maybe you turn it on and forget that it's on? Hitting the brakes should turn it off but for some reason maybe it is fucked up. I honestly don't know how to tell if it's the cruise control or not, disengage it and drive around for a while, if it still happens then you know it's not it? lol.

If that's not it look around the pedal, cable, throttle body for anything that's binding. Take the cable off the throttle body and move the butterfly by hand to see if it's loose or sticky. And check the cable by hand too see how easy it is or how stiff it is. Check the cable for any kinks or cuts. You may even have to take the cable off the pedal and see if it's the pedal sticking. If you find something that sticks replace it or hopefully a lot of lube will cure the problem. i would lube it all anyways if I found it or not.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Teching In

i will try all of that. how to disengage cruise control?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem with my 97 Camaro V6. It did this in the mcdonalds drive thru while I was pulling up to pay. I did a brake torque thru the drive thru line while avoiding hitting 2 cars. GM also told me "Floor Mat" But I later found out that the actual linkage that goes thru the firewall was getting caught on a snag in th actual firewall. I sanded the area down, lubed up the linkage, and the problem stopped.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Teching In

where exactly on the firewall was it?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was towards the bottom, I just followed the linkage thru it.