General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

EBCM? any hope of fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EBCM? any hope of fixing?

So, I have an ABS INOP light, TCS OFF, and Brake light coming up and going off on a random/regular basis. After much reading, I found this is most likely due to my EBCM having problems. Well, no problem I have an extended waranty. Naturally they don't cover it, even though control module is something listed as covered, they claim, it would say the exact name if it was covered. Which sounds like a load of BS to me, since this warranty coverage is written with generic names, not the 1,000,000 specific names possibly assigned to parts by it's respective company.

Anyways, I'm still in process of chewing out the warranty company, they love to try to fill me with BS.

I could swear I read in a thread somewhere, and now I can't find it, that the EBCM can get Loose? and that could be the cause of the lights. Where exactly is the EBCM located? I'd like to take a look at it. On GMparts direct it's a whoppin 473 dollars for a replacement EBCM, not something I want to pay.

anyone able to shed some more light on EBCM's? or his particular problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:18 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably if the warranty company just listed "control module", they were meaning the main one, the PCM.

BTW, it's better if people post what model and year of car they have.

Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)
Location - Mounted with brake pressure modulator valve on the top of the left front frame rail
In the attached diagram, the EBCM is #2.

Description of what the EBCM does:
Electronic Brake And Traction Control Module
The EBCM/EBTCM performs the following primary functions:

Detects wheel slip tendencies
Detects wheel speed differences
Controls the brake system while in the antilock or traction control mode
Controls the Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
Monitors the system for proper electrical operation

The EBCM/EBTCM also controls the display of the ABS and traction control DTCs while in diagnostic mode. The EBCM/EBTCM continuously checks the speed of each wheel in order to determine if any wheel is beginning to slip. If a wheel slip tendency is detected, the EBCM/EBTCM commands the appropriate valve positions to modulate the brake fluid pressure in some or all of the hydraulic circuits. This action prevents wheel slip and provides optimum braking. The EBCM/EBTCM continues to control pressure in the individual hydraulic circuits until a slipping tendency is no longer present. The EBCM/EBTCM continuously monitors the ABS/TCS for proper operation. If an error is detected, the EBCM/EBTCM can disable the ABS/TCS and turn on the ABS or TCS OFF Indicators in the IPC.
Attached Thumbnails EBCM? any hope of fixing?-fbody-ebcm-2.gif  
Old 04-11-2006, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the info, it's appreciated. SIlly of me not to add the info on my car.

2002 Firehawk Trans Am

Quick Reply: EBCM? any hope of fixing?