General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Level Problem Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant Level Problem Help Needed

My low coolant light came on the other day. Checked the resevoir and everthing was fine. Started car again, and light went out. This happened on the first start-up of the day for a couple of days. The last two times it happened, I checked the radiator itself and it was in fact low. I added perhaps a pint or so of water and all was fine. Came back a day or two later and the radiator is low again. However, the coolant level in the resovoir tank had risen. It would appear that the coolant is being pushed into the resovoir but not sucked back into the radiator as needed.

Does this suggest a bad radiator cap? I have not had any overheating problems. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

My car just hit 100,000 miles and the coolant level sensor started to flake out and give a sporatic low coolant light. I drained the system of coolant, removed/cleaned the sensor, and refilled using the proceedure from this web link:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

The proceedure he mentions worked like a charm to make sure there were no air bubbles in the system. Depending on how low your coolant got, I'm guessing you may have air in the system which is causing fluctuations in your coolant reservoir. Probably not enough air to cause temps to go up much? I'd recommend checking your sensor and refilling the system per the link.

After doing that, if you do lose fluid, I'd let the car idle on a dry surface while at temperature and see if any coolant drops down. If so, I'm guessing the water pump needs replacing. You may want to replace the radiator cap first since that would be cheap and easy to try. Also check the hoses.

If you're still stymied, there are dyes that can be put in the coolant. I believe they use black lights in a dark garage to find any leaks. Also take a peek at your oil... make sure coolant isn't leaking through a bad gasket into your oil. Good luck!

-Scott
Old 04-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

I just checked the link and noticed it goes to the front page rather than the specific one you'll need. Follow the links for Install Documents then 160 degree Thermostat Swap. They mention disconnecting the coolant line which feeds the throttle body and then turning it upwards. Add coolant in at the radiator cap: you may hear the air ecaping the system from the coolant line you disconnected. When fluid escapes from the line plug it back into the throttle body and continue filling in the radiator opening until it's full. Replace the cap and you should be good to go.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Hey, thaks for the suggestion, I will try that. I did search for other leaks but no luck yet. Again, it appears the coolant is all going into the resovoir because the level in the resovoir keeps rising (it becomes too full). I replaced the cap yesterday and will try the link and see what happens.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I had a coolant level sensor act flakey after it got contaminated by power steering fluid. replacing the leaking power steering cooler, flushing the cooling system, and cleaning the sensor fixed it.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to replace my coolant level sensor
Old 04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both LT1's and LS1's are known to have flighty coolant level sensors. Most people disconnect them.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Well, I had the time to look at it again today. I could not remember if I had looked for a leak when the car was at full operating temperature. So, I made sure it was at operating temperature this time. I did see coolant dripping (steady) out from behind the water pump, I assume from the weep hole. Now that I am listening for it, it sounds like it is rattling a little as well. Guess it is time for a new water pump. Thanks again for the responses.

Quick Reply: Coolant Level Problem Help Needed