General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

DexCool question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DexCool question?

ok guys...if the dexcool is turning to sludge what is the easiest way to determine this? is there a certain discoloration of the dexcool or anything of this nature? just curious cause i've never messed with this fancy dexcool stuff...i'm used to the plain ole antifreeze...thanks guys...all help appreciated...thanks

just wondering cause i'm gonna check the dexcool on my t/a and see what it looks like cause unless im dreamin the heater isn't the greatest...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

How many miles do you have? You can pull the over flow cap and look on the end of it to see if any sludge is built up. Just do regular changes and you shouldnt have any problems. I change mine right before every summer. Granted you dont need to. To me its an excuse to tinker with my car and it doesnt cost much. I do a 75 water/25 Dexcool with a bottle of Redline water wetter.

Everyone has their own theory as to when to change it. I personally wouldnt go more than 20k or every 2 years. I'm an idiot that changes synthetic oil around every 2500 miles as well though.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While Dexcool is touted as a 100kmi+ coolant, that can be said only under ideal conditions. "Ideal Conditions" means a tight, leak-free system, no air infiltration, and topping off as required only with more Dexcool or with distilled water.

When Dexcool goes bad it turns brownish and develops a sludge/gunk/goo within the system. If your system has been compromised it will require a drain/flush/refill.

What you replace it with is up to you. Coolants have come a long way in the last several years. Dexcool was designed to last a long time and to be kind to aluminum engines. Many coolants do that now.

Research and decide what's best for you.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

not even 30K on the clock of the t/a...i just pulled the overflow and looked at and it seems that there is just a bit of brown so i'm thinkin that just to be on the safe side i'm gonna get the system flushed and replace with new dexcool...what's the best mixture? 50 dexcool and 50 distilled water? any other suggestions? thanks guys...also i think it would be a good idea to flush the system since i plan on keepin this car for a good long while...thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02LS1WS6
not even 30K on the clock of the t/a...i just pulled the overflow and looked at and it seems that there is just a bit of brown so i'm thinkin that just to be on the safe side i'm gonna get the system flushed and replace with new dexcool...what's the best mixture? 50 dexcool and 50 distilled water? any other suggestions? thanks guys...also i think it would be a good idea to flush the system since i plan on keepin this car for a good long while...thanks
You can buy Zerex brand Dex-Cool pre-mixed with distilled water They make flush/clean products too. Yea, 50/50 is fine no matter what brand you use.