General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Control arm cost - does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arm cost - does this sound right?

My car's been making a metal tap noise when I go over bumps on the front right, and also has had a more muffled creaking when slightly turning left, also coming from the front right.

So I got the verdict today from the shop (I am not mechanically inclined). They said it was a bad control arm and the cost to replace it would total $370. $230 for the part, the rest for labor + alignment.

Does this sound reasonable?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How old is your car, how many miles, and what kind of mods?

I'm not super-versed on suspension stuff, but it's possible that it's something much simpler, like a bushing or a strut. Either way, that kinda sounds expensive.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Launching!

this doesnt really sound like a lower control arm. maybe the busings are bad and making this noise? either way take it to another shop and get a different opinion.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Intragration
How old is your car, how many miles, and what kind of mods?

I'm not super-versed on suspension stuff, but it's possible that it's something much simpler, like a bushing or a strut. Either way, that kinda sounds expensive.
99 TA, 49,500 miles.

At first they thought it was a bushing, and that's what it was going in for today originally to get done, but then they said it needed a new control arm.

I'll take it to another place next week when I get a chance because it sounded pretty expensive. What they told me was that if the previous owners hit something hard on that side it could have caused the problem, but I will get a 2nd opinion since it's a near $400 fix and I don't want to be mistaken on something like that.