General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car dosent feel like starting sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dosent feel like starting sometimes

Car fires up totally fin 95% of the time, but every few days, it wont start on the first key turn. You just have to keep trying and it will always start within 2 minutes. It has never not started.

I would think it would be the starter, but it has been doing this for 5 months. I figured if it was on its way out it would have croaked by now. Any thoughts?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

Does it always crank(when not starting)?
Are you running with the original injectors?
Does it miss at all while your driving?
Have you tried running injector cleaner through it?
Do you know what your fuel pressure is at start up?
How many miles are on it?

I know I have a lot of questions but it might lead you to the answer.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:09 AM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Does it always crank(when not starting)? No, the dash lights come on and thats it it
Are you running with the original injectors? As far as I know, yes
Does it miss at all while your driving? Nope
Have you tried running injector cleaner through it? No
Do you know what your fuel pressure is at start up? Dont know
How many miles are on it? 104k
Old 05-03-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LukePhillips
Does it always crank(when not starting)? No, the dash lights come on and thats it it
Are you running with the original injectors? As far as I know, yes
Does it miss at all while your driving? Nope
Have you tried running injector cleaner through it? No
Do you know what your fuel pressure is at start up? Dont know
How many miles are on it? 104k
Ok, I think we've ruled out injectors, plugs, wires, fuel pump, and probably a couple of other things.
I'm thinking your starter is fine because, usually, that'll make an awful noise when it goes.

It could have something to do with your VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System). Do you have more than one key? If so, try the others and see if it still happens. Also, measure the resistance of the metal contact in the keys. I think they're supposed to be a little over 200 ohms.
Could also be a stuck relay or a bad sensor somewhere. Do you ever have a check engine light? Even if not, you could have a stored code. Go to advance or autozone and do an OBDII scan to double check (they'll do it for free).
Old 05-03-2006, 10:33 AM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Originally Posted by jkichline
Ok, I think we've ruled out injectors, plugs, wires, fuel pump, and probably a couple of other things.
I'm thinking your starter is fine because, usually, that'll make an awful noise when it goes.

It could have something to do with your VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System). Do you have more than one key? If so, try the others and see if it still happens. Also, measure the resistance of the metal contact in the keys. I think they're supposed to be a little over 200 ohms.
Could also be a stuck relay or a bad sensor somewhere. Do you ever have a check engine light? Even if not, you could have a stored code. Go to advance or autozone and do an OBDII scan to double check (they'll do it for free).
Now that you mention it, it does seem like the Security light is on every time it happens. I have a spare set, Ill switch them out for awhile and see what happens.

I do have the SES light come randomly every once in a while but it turns itself off a few minutes. Ive been meaning to gett hat checked out anyway. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:47 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to something that might help you out if its your VATS system..Has a couple of links on the page to some helpful pics as well...

LT1 VATS