General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Flickering lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flickering lights

Noticed a few results in my searches...but everyone seemed to have a flucuation in the volt meter....(I haven't noticed one)

About 2 months ago, I noticed once in awhile that the lights seemed to "flicker" intermittently. Not turn off or anything, but just well...dim for a half of a second. Last night, on a 3 hour ride home, it got substantially worse. The flicker was the same ...that is ...lights not turning off.... but it was almost every 2-3 seconds it would do it. I turned on the dome light, and realized that had this pesky flicker as well.

So, bad alternator (regulator failing) or bad battery? Car fires up without a hitch. Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the exact same problem. I just had my battery changed, so I think its a fuse..
Old 05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Joey7489
I have the exact same problem. I just had my battery changed, so I think its a fuse..
Eh...don't think it's a fuse...short of wiring behind the panel being loose. More likely a bad ground or bad alternator...just wondering what other people's experiences have been...
Old 05-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Teching In

well from audio systems you get some flickering when the amps draw a lot of power. Which says you probably are not getting enough power for a litte bit of time. It sounds like it could be bad or loose wiring.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A/C compresser and air pump kicking on will do it sometimes. Regulators in alternators will definately do it, but usually show up in the voltmeter. I would stick a voltmeter on the output of the alternator to ground and see if it is fluctuating from there, if it is its most likely the voltage regulator in the alternator, If it is dropping voltage fast enough the voltmeter on the dash may not pick it up.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i guess ur right because if a fuse is blown, its blown ya know? it cant be just in the middle

but its not really bothering me 2 much
Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Joey7489
well i guess ur right because if a fuse is blown, its blown ya know? it cant be just in the middle

but its not really bothering me 2 much
Yeah...but worried someday, while out in bufu...it'll go completly (would be my luck)

Can't be the smog pump (don't have one) and not A/C... (was chilly that night) ...so quite possibly the alternator it looks like.... Thanks