General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Timing question...PLEASE help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing question...PLEASE help!!!

THis may sound like a dumb question, but how do you adjust the timing on an LS1? I live in SoCal and I'm trying to get my car to pass it's smog test. I put a stroker motor iin it about two years ago and tested it before I had it tuned. It blew clean. I tuned it and tested it again, and it blew a little dirtier, butstill fairly clean. I haven't added anything other than LTs since then, and it's running bad and is classified now as a "gross polluter". I can't figure out what happened since I had it tuned and why all of the sudden it's not blowing as clean as it used to. I want to try and play with the timing, but I'm not sure how. Do I need to have my tuner play with it? Also, I do have a 5degree spark advance plug. Do these go bad? Should I take it off and try it that way? Like I said, sorry about all the qyuestions but I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Launching!

You can either pay a shop to tune it or buy a tuner. Check out the PCM/Tuning section to see what tuners are good. I don't want to mess with them.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Coming from a fellow Air Force guy I agree with you. I've got a good place to do my tuning for me, just wasn't sure if it was a tune-only option.