General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil pressure bad after highway trips

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure bad only after highway trips

okay this question is about my dad's daily driver it's a 95 S-10 2.2 4cyl. heres the problem when you start it up it makes between 40 and 60 psi. and once it warms up it goes down to about 40. but if you drive down the highway where you keep the rpm's up when you come to a stop and the motor goes down to idle it goes to 0psi and the motor starts to knock,it sounds like it comes from the lifters like they aren't staying pumped up. if you rev it the pressure will come up and it will stop making noise. but as soon as it idles it will loose pressure. if you start it cold and let it idle it will maintain pressure fine until run it down the road at a sustained higher rpm(probably 2300rpm)

we put thicker oil in it. the timing chain was replaced at a shop right before this started to happened. we found some rtv and sludge in the oil filter so we flushed the pan and put the thicker oil it and it didn't help. I thought maybe the bearings and pump where just worn out maybe and had to much gap/clearence. it does have 197,000 miles but it never a had a single problem before. the timing chain was replaced by the shop it stopped running one day and wa getting no signal from the cam pos sensor so they replaced that and said the timing chain had some slack so we had them go ahead anf replace it.

Last edited by lt1formula2000; 05-19-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Is the oil pan full? My buddy's truck did that when it wan 4 qts low. The little bit of oil he had in the pan sloshed forward, away from the pickup tube when he stopped.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the pump for sure because of the things is how the oil looses its consitancy when it heats up, even when u have thicker oil, the if the pump is going out then its gonna be a pain for the pump to send that thinner heated oil through....my s10 has 160k on it...mine does it alil, when its really a hot day...
Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98LS-WON
Is the oil pan full? My buddy's truck did that when it wan 4 qts low. The little bit of oil he had in the pan sloshed forward, away from the pickup tube when he stopped.
Yes it's full, and it did it all the time once it was hot not just when we where on the brakes or hard corner. in my friends 97 T/A the pickup tube fell off of the oil pump so I know exactly what it like when that happens
Old 05-22-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by staringback05
check the pump for sure because of the things is how the oil looses its consitancy when it heats up, even when u have thicker oil, the if the pump is going out then its gonna be a pain for the pump to send that thinner heated oil through....my s10 has 160k on it...mine does it alil, when its really a hot day...
well we decided to flush it again we used this stuff you put in the motor and run for 5 mins then drain we did this and put 3 qts 10w 40 and 1 15w 50 and it seems to have fixed the problem. Around here we can get these motors for $80 for a long block at a pull your own part junkyard. So my dad decided just run this motor till it blows up, since there where shitloads of the little 2.2's at the junkyard.