General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0118: Engine Coolant Temp Circut High Input

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0118: Engine Coolant Temp Circut High Input

My cars SES light went on the other day, I hooked up the scanner and got a code. P0118: Engine Coolant Temperature Circut High Input. I reset it and drove around it didnt come back on. I shut off the car and they started it up for a 2nd time after I reset the light, and it had a VERY hard time starting. It would crank but not turn over. After it finally started the light came back on after a few min of driving. The car doesent have problems starting all the time, only after the 2nd start after I reset the SES light. The cars fans also say on after I turn the car off for a few min.

I think I need to replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor. Does anyone know about this. Where is it located? Is installing a new one just plug and play, and reset light?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Teching In

We had to get one replaced for our 94 Formula, the car would always take longer than necessary to start, and the car would always take a long time to warm up to normal operating temperature.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ECT is the brass sensor that screws into the drivers side head, just forward of cyl #1 exhaust manifold, has 2 wires on the connector. Make sure the connection is tight and clean before buying one.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Problem fixed. The sensor was only pluged in half way. I pluged it back in, and reset the SES light.

Quick Reply: P0118: Engine Coolant Temp Circut High Input