General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight Gear, or fluke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Headlight Gear, or fluke?

Since I heard about headlight gears stripping, practically the day I got my car I figured that it would happen any day. Well its been 2 years and 140k total and not a peep from them. I assume they were replaced or I just got very lucky.. until tonight. I arrived at a buddies house tonight to see in the reflection in the back of his car that one of my headlights wasnt up, I flipped the switch a few times, now here the different part, the thing didnt make a sound, the passenger went up and down fine, but the driverside did nothing, no grinding or anything. Obviously I can't flip the switch and run to listen for the motor. So I manually raised it, then turned em off, went down fine, no grinding. Turned em on, came up fine, no grinding (it did make an audible 'click' when it was up, but not a grinding sound) there is no play in the light if i try to move it by hand either in the on or off posistion. I have turned em on and off about 10 times and they are fine. Do i need to pull them apart and see if that gear is stripped, or leave it? Any idea what the audible clicking would be? It just worries me that it'll happen again.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first you need to measure the voltage at the motor. If the car is sending voltage to the motor, and you get no response, then you need to replace the motor.

If the gear was stripped. then you would hear a grinding noise for about 10seconds. This happened to me!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98formulaMAH
first you need to measure the voltage at the motor. If the car is sending voltage to the motor, and you get no response, then you need to replace the motor.

If the gear was stripped. then you would hear a grinding noise for about 10seconds. This happened to me!
Which one did you encounter, grinding, or now power?