General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Chevy S10 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy S10 trouble

i know this isnt an LS1 and prolly the wrong forum but i need to see if anyone else knows the answer. i have a 1987 2.8 TBI s10 automatic and just changed the plug wires and spark plugs a couple weeks ago right when i got the truck from a friend (free). well i went out to start the truck right after i did the tune-up and it started fine but as soon as i put it in D it completly shut down and i tried and tried to start it again but no go. a day later i went out there and tried it again and it fired right up. but yet again as soon as i put it in D it died. well when i try to start it it doesnt crank and the starter doesnt even engage or "click". after tinkering with it for awaile i put my foot on the brake and shifted through the gears P-1st and put it in N and it started right up. then i put it in D and i took it around the block and it never missed a beat. well i took it out again and as i was driving down the road it just DIED, i lost everything, power steering, power brakes and it wouldnt start no matter what i did. also it is leaking a bunch of oil from the engine to the tranny and i went to check the oil level and it was fine, looked at the starter and had fresh oil dripping off it. my dad said it could be a relay gone bad or the oil pressure sending unit gone bad. also all the fuses are good as far as i can tell. i dont know much about s10's as it was just given to me. thanx for any responces in the future.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE- well i checked on the oil sending unit and i found that there are 2 connections bound together. one is going to the oil sending unit that is a one prong connection and the other is a 3 prong connection that looks melted on one side and was just hanging there. anyone know where this goes? or what this 3 prong connection is for? thanx for the responce. i did check the battery and cables and all were OK.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

AHH, the S-10 oil leak. I have a '93 S-10 with the 2.8L TBI setup. I had a bad oil leak. It turned out to be the o-ring on the distributor. Rear main leaks alittle but not bad. As far as the connector, maybe look at a manual. Haynes has an expnsive one at Pep Boys.

Good luck with the S-10.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

i bought a manual for the truck but still no luck. all the electrical diagrams are for 91+ models when it says 83-94 and still no luck. the oil leak isnt so bad, i just put more oil in it and call it a day for now. i just want it at least turning over or something lol. all fuses are good... i dunno