General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Foaming my Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foaming my Z

My car has been off for almost 7 hrs now should i warm it up and put half a bottle of seafoam in the oil tube (Crank) or just pour it on a cold engine?
I wanna clean the internals. Anyone pls suggest what's the best way of doing this. I heard alot of good things about seafoam and at the same time, i am shitting my pants cuz i don't wanna f@#k the motor up. Also, do i need to put some in my brake booster line to clean the top end of my engine? Btw, I will be changing my oil right away after doing it with Mobil 1.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html
Old 06-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Banned

Definitely don't add Seafoam to the engine while its still cold. Let it warm up to operating temperature, then add it in.

If youn want to clean both the top and bottom end of the engine, you should add 1/3 of a can in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 through the brake booster line. Drive it for a while and then change the oil. Should be cleaned out nice
Old 06-21-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seafoam didn't do jack **** for me. I used it on the brake booster and added half a can in my oil. There is no difference and my lifter is still ticking like before. I guess results may vary but nothing happend to me.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alpha-Q
Seafoam didn't do jack **** for me. I used it on the brake booster and added half a can in my oil. There is no difference and my lifter is still ticking like before. I guess results may vary but nothing happend to me.
How do you expect it to fix lifter tick?? Unless the lifters are sticking, its not going to help quiet the engine down. It merely cleans the engine.

The best thing to help with valve clatter/lifter tick is a good synthetic oil, like Mobil 1. If its really bad ticking and your mileage is high, you might want to also add a bottle of something like Lucas Oil Stabilizer, to help the oil stay at the top of the engine and thicken it up some.