General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:40 PM
SCRWS6

Great post! Worked good for me, 01 formula with 75k+ miles, had to wait till nite time to take her out, but if anything slowing down traffic for a half mile was well worth it!!!!!!!! no idea about improved gas mileage, too busy enjoying the acceleration.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright. I'm going to the store! I need MAF sensor cleaner anywayz. Awesome write up taco man!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Would you recommend doing this with only 18,500 miles on the car?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
Would you recommend doing this with only 18,500 miles on the car?
depends on a lot of variables. how do you drive your car? how good is gas in your area? what oil do you buy? are there any leaks in the car?

if you baby your car and have leaky head gaskets or something, your engine could be absolutely filthy. i just wanna point out that usually cars that are babied more have more carbon deposits inside since they're never run hard enough to clean themselves out.

my car is just about to turn over 30,000 miles and i'm not gonna do it yet. i'd recommend seafoaming your gas tank and oil but don't do it through the vacuum line yet. when i get headers next summer and switch to NGK plugs and MSD wires, new O2 sensors...the whole shabang...THEN i'll seafoam right before that work is done. with 18,500 miles you probably don't have much carbon in the engine.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

so you reccommend to put the seafoam in the gas tank and oil and wait a bit on the brake booster line. I haven't done this ever and it has 99,xxx miles on her. I am thinking that there will be a lot of carbon buildup, and really don't want to foul out the plugs after I just got my car back from the shop. I also only have 5,000 miles on the plugs.

So would waiting on the brake booster line be helpful or should I just do it all at once?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Resident

well, i seafoamed my old 1995 V6 w/80,000 miles and i had zero issues...and this baby backed up traffic for half a mile, too. it was wonderful! i think it has a lot to do with the plugs you use, too. if you have a good plug in there, i predict no issues. it's possible you could have a plug issue, but it's really unlikely. i would do it. it's not like it'll foul all 8 plugs anyway. at most you'll have to replace one. besides, usually the seafoam is "the straw that broke the camel's back" meaning your plug was on the verge of going anyway, the seafoam just finished it off. i would just do the seafoaming and not worry about it. with all those miles on it, the affects of seafoam will SURELY be worth the risk of fouling a measly plug.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I think that I am gonna do this in intervals, I just changed the oil and don't want to go out again and change it. I think I am gonna put it in the gas and see how it goes. don't know if I should do the brake booster as well and the throttle body, might just wait till I do the oil.

So what is the car going to be like with that stuff in the gas. will I get smoke or is that mainly when I put it in the oil and brake booser?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

With all of the talk about mileage and when to do this, I'm hitting mine next weekend (after hitting 100+ miles on the treated oil). My SS only has 7k on it but I had issues with it running VERY rich and fouling a plug already. I have already had to replace the cats since it was running so rich (caused by bad sensors and a failed PCM). Hoping this will clear out all of the crap in her from when she was running so bad before.

Already did a treated tankful of gas and replaced the fuel filter (surprised how crappy the filter was). I'm actually doing it to help the oil as well since the car sits alot and I figure this should help clean out and prevent any sludge issues.

Only problem right now is I can't find the Deep Creep stuff around here. Any suggestions for other products instead?

Swapping out all 8 plugs with some new Delco Iridiums after treating. Will post back as to the (smoke) results on a low mileage car.

Allen
Old 07-30-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where are the fuel filters located at? It is in the trunk area? Because I thought I saw something that looked like a fuel filter back there.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
what is the car going to be like with that stuff in the gas. will I get smoke or is that mainly when I put it in the oil and brake booser?
i could sneak over to your house in the middle of the night, dump a can of seafoam into your gas tank and a half a can into your oil. you'd wake up and be none-the-wiser. your car won't behave any differently with the seafoam in your gas and oil...unless you check your dipstick and you'll be like "wtf why is my old so black?" tee hee

Originally Posted by RMC_SS_LDO
Only problem right now is I can't find the Deep Creep stuff around here. Any suggestions for other products instead?
i wouldn't worry about the deep creep if you can't find it. it's not totally necessary. the other 3 steps are far more important. i have no experience with any other product.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Joey7489
Where are the fuel filters located at? It is in the trunk area? Because I thought I saw something that looked like a fuel filter back there.
Left side, just behind the rear floor-board.

Check this out.... will help a bit.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...lacement_1.htm

Last edited by RMC_SS_LDO; 07-30-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

I used Seafoam a while ago but I just thought Id share my plug, filter, and oil experiences. I did the oil <100 miles after the seafoam and with only about 2,000 miles on that oil. That stuff was pitch black. Not only was it black but it had a much thicker look than oil ever should. Fuel filter came next and it obviously hadnt been replaced since the car rolled out of the factory. I opened that thing up after it had dried and it looked as bad as the oil. I finally got around to a plug change a few days ago and found that they were also the original plugs. While there was a bunch of build up on the blugs the tips were suprisingly clean, I assume it was from the Seafoam.
Id say deff change oil and fuel filter but the plugs arent a major worry. Just sharing what happened with me and hope it can help out someone else. This was on a car with 97k on it and was the first Seafoam ever btw.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I so want to do this now. Only problem is finding a place close to home to run out the smoke. How long will the car smoke ponce I get it on a highway? It at 120,000 miles and has never been flushed to my knowlege.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Tech Resident

depends. the car will smoke like hell at idle for seemingly forever but you clean it all out pretty quickly once you're running - of course how fast depends on how much buildup is in there. mine cleared for the most part after 2 WOT pulls to 80...but i had a V6 so a WOT pull to 80 took like 30 seconds...

you're supposed to drive it pretty hard with a few WOT pulls, so i'd say in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes you should be okay...although i can't guarantee it. if you're driving around in the city and go traffic light to traffic light topping out at 30mph behind a line of cars...it's gonna take a lot longer.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Would the SeaFoam for automatic tranny work well or is there something else that's better for flushing it? I saw it at NAPA and was curious if it was a good investment or not.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:58 PM
bjv
Teching In

I just seafoamed my car, 65k I did all of it except for the deep creep. They didn't have it at the 3 stores I went to. It didn't really seem to smoke at all. I could notice a small difference after I took it out on the test drive. I'm getting a ticking noise now after I have done this from the upper part of the engine it sounds like. Anyone know what this might be? Other than that great write up choco wish everyone could see the beauty of seafoam.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well, 1st and 2nd phase complete- blew more smoke than I expected on the road considering the ultra-low miles on my car. From a roll, fish-tailed hard in 1st and 2nd- pulled hard enough to get damn near sideways! I don't know if it made much of a difference, but it seemed to "smell" better and run a little stronger.

Last phase is this up-coming weekend to jump on a plug swap, although I think I dorked up my new plugs by re-gapping them to .050 (Delco iridiums) and I need to do the oil change.

Only odd thing- I noticed last night the car doesn't want to idle when cold now ... today I checked the vacuum line again; disconnected it again to suck down any residual Seafom in the lines and re-connected to ensure it was secure with no leaks. Will run again to work to check.

Any ideas as to why it would idle crappy in open-loop after Seafoam? I didn't dork with anything other than the vacuum line.

Last edited by RMC_SS_LDO; 08-06-2006 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Typo....
Old 08-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by kaos_
Would the SeaFoam for automatic tranny work well or is there something else that's better for flushing it? I saw it at NAPA and was curious if it was a good investment or not.
i'd be nervous of the tranny flush...i have no experience with it, but the tranny is something i personally wouldn't mess with. i have confidence in our engines but not in the automatic trannies

Originally Posted by RMC_SS_LDO
Any ideas as to why it would idle crappy in closed-loop after Seafoam? I didn't dork with anything other than the vacuum line.
1.) your IAC censor or MAF sensor may be dirty from the smoke produced in the cylinder banks from the seafoam

2.) your plugs are very dirty from the seafoam

3.) did you put seafoam in your oil? if you did, your oil may be a lot thicker than usual, making more effort to pump oil at idle.

may be any one of the three, or even a combination.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Choco-

Thanks for the reply... I goofed in my post- it is crappy idle in OPEN loop in initial start, not closed loop.

I'll swap the plugs and oil (at about 100 miles now on the treated oil) this up-coming weekend.

Just hope I didn't trash my new plugs by re-setting the gap on them.... I can't see how I would have actually damaged them or why they would not work gapped at .055 vice .040.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Tech Resident

my guess would be plugs last. i'd clean your IAC censor with a q-tip and wipe off your maf, then change your oil. i have a feeling it'll be better after that.

if not, it'll be the plugs...

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car