General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange starting problem - please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange starting problem - please help

This morning my car decided it didnt want to start while i was stopping for some food.

While i was driving previous to this, the voltage level on my guage kept dropping way down, when it did my spedometer would jump all over and the car would sometimes studder for a second.

Previous I have had problems with the car not wanting to start, when you hit the key it would start for a second, them immedietly die, or just crank and crank, and sometimes start and run, but very rough. This always seemed to go away if i just kept re-starting it, eventually it would run fine.

So this morning when i try to start it, they lights on the dash wont come on until i put the key all the way into the "crank" position, where it does nothing. All the accessories work. I thought the alternator might be bad, and just totally drained my battery, so i bought a new one and put it in. Still the same thing.

I did get the car to start once, and it seemed to run okay. I had to turn it off, and when i tried starting it again, it would make a strange clicking noise from somewhere near the glovebox.

Sorry if this post is really disjointed, im writing it durring a break in my bio class, which i was late for the test in because of this.

So if anyone can give me some insite on what you check or why its doing this, i would be in your debt.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did some research and it sounds like its either the ignition relay, the starter relay, or the ignition module.

Can anyone tell me where to get the ignition/starter relays? I called autozone and they said they couldnt get either.

Dealer only?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a problem similar to that. my tach and spedo would jump and my car would sometimes die for no apparent reason. my voltage would jump around too. i found that the power going from the battery to the fuse box had a loose connection. tightened up the connection and no more problems.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went in and messed around with it again for a minute. In the fuse box under the hood, the Ignition fuse was good, as well as the fuses in the car.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the ignition module near the key, since the time i did get it to start, it was by messing with the key a bunch.

But it also makes me think that it might be the module that is somewhere in behind the glove box, since the time it started, when i was hitting the key i could hear some noises from back in there.

If anyone can shed some light on this i would be thrilled.

EDIT: Where is the starter relay? In a thread i read it said it was in the fuse box under the hood, but its definetly not there on my car. Im guessing its in a different spot for the LT1 cars?