General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Freon - does it wear out w/ time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Freon - does it wear out w/ time?

I kinda screwed up on a freon fill up. I used to work on A/C systems 30 years ago but I only do it accoasionally now and I forget some basic stuff about the systems now.

Anyway, I threw a set of guages on my BMW and decided to add 1/2 can of 134R which I did to the low side.

A few minutes later the low side reading was off the scale - TOO MUCH pressure!!!

So, lacking any recovery system, I blew off some freon from the low side. Then the pressure was too low.

There was no cold air blowing. I checked the fuses thinking the AC compressor had blown a fuse. - no deal.

So I'm really confused now. I decide to pack up for the night and take a rest. In the morning, I plug the vacume pump in and vacume the system for 1.5 hours. I refill the system with a fresh charge.

Guages reading normal now - 50 low - 225 high

AC is now very cold. Man did I dodge a bad outcome or WhAT?

Does this stuff go bad with time; the new freon charge is way colder than anything I've seen in this car for 5 years. Did the vacume work to remove moister that had seeped in? The system has not been open so I would not have thought there would have been much moister in there anyway.

Anyway, I'm glad I vacumed it and added the new charge - cold as ice now.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As best I understand it, R134 does not wear out. You may have a really slow leak that caused the weak cooling. Moisture could have been the issue to, like you said.

Quick Reply: Freon - does it wear out w/ time?