General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C liquid Line replacement - can I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C liquid Line replacement - can I do it?

Ok, I really need some help here. I know my liquid line (part #10282758) running from my evaporator to my condenser is broken. Its been about 2 months now and I'm sure all the refrigerant has leaked out. My questions are:

1. Can I buy a new liquid line from GMpartsdirect and replace the line, add the r134a refrigerant (2 lbs?) and be good to go?

2. Will I need to evacuate the system w/ a vacuum after I replace the line?

3. If I need a vacuum, where can I get one?

The estimated charges for someone else is 275+ and I want to do it myself, so is it really feasible?

PLEASE HELP! AND THANK YOU!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can replace it yourself.

1) No. You should buy an accumulator as well since yours is likely trashed from sitting open to the air for 2 months. Pull the old accumulator and the liq line is real easy to get to. The new liq line comes with an o ring for the condensor side, but it doesn't come with a new seal for the evap side. I purchased a new one when I replaced mine, but Im sure you could reuse the old one, they seem pretty resilient. The new liq line also comes with an orifice tube.
2)Yes
3)I used one from Harbor freight that hooks up to an air compressor line. I think it was 10 or 15 bucks. To do it right, you should have an a/c manifold gauge set as well. Thats another 40 or 50 at harbor freight (but you may be able to rent them at the parts store)

Accumulator is 79 at Oreillys, the liq line and seal was 72 ish at my dealer, 2 cans of R134 20 bucks, 1 can of PAG 150 6 bucks (pour half the can into the new accumulator before you hook up the lines), 60 bucks for tools.

Not much cheaper than 275 if you have to buy the tools. I would still do it myself.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all that information, I just want to make sure I'm clear on everything.

1. Replace accumulator and add Pag 150 (half can) [is this a simple bolt on part at this point since there is nothing in it?]

2. Replace liquid line

3. Evacuate system with vacuum

4. Add 2 cans of R134a

Thank you again.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Just to add...

If you do not have a good air compressor, then forget the harbor Freight vacuum pump. It will not work. You will need to at least pull a 26.5-27" vacuum depending on your temp. If your air compressor will not put out 4 scfm at 90 psi, then forget it. Just telling you from experience. I did this exact same thing last week and my little craftsman 5 gallon said it would do it, but I could only get about 24" of vacuum out of it. Had to upgrade to my fathers big boy. But he got pissed after hearing it run for a half hour straight. Next time, I would go out of my way to borrow a vacuum pump (A real one) and I was actually pretty close to just biting the bullet and buying one.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

You can get the parts cheaper at fred beans .com
I got the accumulator for like 48 bucks.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=2&catalogid=2
Old 08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks for all the help. Would it be really bad if I just replaced the line and not the accumulator as well and see if it worked anyway? I just moved out and money is tight and whatnot, wondering if I could see if it still works without damaging anything else. Or is that a bad idea?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odds are it will still work, but it could lead to failure of other parts down the road
Old 08-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Again thank you everyone for all of the help! I really appreciate all of your input and advice.

Quick Reply: A/C liquid Line replacement - can I do it?