General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The back of my headlight motor fell off

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The back of my headlight motor fell off

A few months ago I put a brass gear in my pass. headlight motor and glued the back on. Last night my headlight wouldn't pop up. I looked this afternoon and the plastic piece that covers the back of the motor is gone. Is there anywhere that I can get one of these or is there a way to make one? this really pisses me off
Old 08-13-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best bet is to get the part number from your local dealer, than buy it from gmpartsdirect or something. it's all GM authentic parts but you need the GM part number in most instances to get it.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get a used motor off ebay. If it's broken, at least you can steal that piece off of it.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
best bet is to get the part number from your local dealer, than buy it from gmpartsdirect or something. it's all GM authentic parts but you need the GM part number in most instances to get it.
do u think that they would sell the back of the motor separately?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aaron653
do u think that they would sell the back of the motor separately?
It's not ment to be taken off, so I doubt they sell it seperately. Your best bet is to find a cheap used one or try a salvage yard. The only other thing is to buy a new motor. Then when it does go bad you'll still have the brass gear.

If this was a few weeks ago I could've sent you my old one. I flipped the gear already and it went out as well. So I just bought a new motor. The old one was trashed a while ago though.

I don't know how you glued it back together, but I always use rc car tire glue. I use the thin to medium type. They also have penetrating glue. When I first flipped the gear it was together for about 3 years with no issues. I had to really pry to get it back off because I couldn't remember which side I already flipped.