General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

weird taillight problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird taillight problem

ok heres the deal, my driver's side brake light works but everynow and then it has stopped working for short amounts of time everynow and then. did some troubleshooting today see if i could figure it out. heres what i found/ with the lights off, you turn on the passenger side blinker and then turn it off the driver's side brake light doesnt work, you then turn on the driver's side blinker and turn it off and then the drivers's side brake light works again. also if you hold down the brake pedal all the brake lights work you then turn on the right side blinker and turn it off the driver's side brake light will go off when you turn off the right blinker but all the other brake lights stay on. WTF this is just messing with my head
Old 08-23-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Texas_TA
ok heres the deal, my driver's side brake light works but everynow and then it has stopped working for short amounts of time everynow and then. did some troubleshooting today see if i could figure it out. heres what i found/ with the lights off, you turn on the passenger side blinker and then turn it off the driver's side brake light doesnt work, you then turn on the driver's side blinker and turn it off and then the drivers's side brake light works again. also if you hold down the brake pedal all the brake lights work you then turn on the right side blinker and turn it off the driver's side brake light will go off when you turn off the right blinker but all the other brake lights stay on. WTF this is just messing with my head
sounds like you need a new turn signal switch. Exact same thing happened to me. What happens is, your turn signal switch fails to return to the off (or center) position. The problem haunted me for about 5 years until I figured it out. I put a new switch in and its been fine ever since. If you do it your self, make sure you read up on how to disconnect your airbag. I've heard horror stories about air bags opening on somebody. It will more than just hurt for a while!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

don't forgot that a new airbag module, installation, and calibration can run up to $2500! (at a dealership... duno how much it costs elsewhere, i'm just glad i've never had to do it)
Old 08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

yep, it's the switch....
my gf has a '95 TA and has this same problem with her drivers side brake light. She just got in the habit of re-centering the signal lever after she makes a left turn. She just pushes the lever up slightly.

Here was my post on the issue....

BRAKE LIGHT PROBLEM