General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Intermittent High Idle Problem - TPS related

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermittent High Idle Problem - TPS related

Hey all....I don't know if there is a thread about this or not yet..my search function won't work right now....anyways. Bear with me, there is a lot of explanation in this thread.

About 3 months ago, I started my 02 TA one day and it idled instantly up to around 2000 rpm. It normally idles around 1000 or 1100 with my MTI X1 cam...I killed the car and restarted it....it went away. After driving it to work, working the full day, and returning to the car after work, I started it and again it revved up to like 2000 rpm. I decided to go ahead and put it in gear and drive home. As soon as I put it in gear, it idled down to normal, but I noticed serious differences while driving. Every gear shifted out way later than normal under regular accelleration. I thought about it for a second and thought it would be the TPS since the TPS controlls the shifting in A4 cars. After getting home, I killed it and restarted it, it was fine. So the next day, I go to start to work and it idled high again. So I popped the hood and unplugged the TPS on the throttle body, instantly the car went back to normal idle.

Then I convinced myself that I had found the problem and went and bought a new TPS and installed it. The problem did not recur until the start of this week when it came back to the high idle. I know it is a new TPS that is only a couple of months old, so I don't know what else it could be. Could there be something that is killing my TPS and I don't know it? Any help in this is appreciated and I apologize for the long thread again.

Thanks,

Cody B.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

one time I turned the key and my TA instantly hit high revs without me touching the gas. Scared the crap out of me. But it never happened again, so i duno, i figured it was just one of those random things. I'd be interested in what the experts have to say.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Yea...it is definitely wierd when it happens....

Anyone else out there know anything about this?

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2006, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Default bump

bump up