General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant tank

To make a long story short my battery leaked onto my overflow tube which snakes down from the radiator under the battery and over to the overflow. The battery acid caused the metal tube that runs into the overflow tank to erode/snap; is this tube replace-able or will I have to get another tank assembly etc. I pulled the tank put I can't seem to figure out if the battery tray etc. can come off the top of the tank ? Any thoughts ?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95zpro
To make a long story short my battery leaked onto my overflow tube which snakes down from the radiator under the battery and over to the overflow. The battery acid caused the metal tube that runs into the overflow tank to erode/snap;
What's the deal with all the aluminum by the battery?
That little aluminum a/c line on mine coroded through, but the overflow tube is still intact.

Originally Posted by 95zpro
is this tube replace-able or will I have to get another tank assembly etc. I pulled the tank put I can't seem to figure out if the battery tray etc. can come off the top of the tank ? Any thoughts ?
Just to help you out, I went out and removed the overflow tank on my '95 formula. Then I decided to go ahead and change my waterpump at the same time. So, sorry about the delay.

The assembly is definitely two pieces, but appears to be glued together. Can't be certain.

But the good news is the aluminum tube just pulls straight out. It goes through a rubber grommet, and the fit is fairly tight. Just pull it up. Twisting it a little helps.

Don't know exactly where to get a replacement, but I'd think either aluminum or copper should be available that can be bent to shape. Dealer probably wants a fortune for it, and all it is is a piece of pipe with a 90 degree bend in the middle.

Just make sure the new piece fits tight into the grommet, or possibly seal it with silicone. Don't want battery acid migrating into your radiator.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I just pulled it and you're right. I called a local dealership and they said that little part is around $16 special order;Home Depot here I come!