General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unexplained Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Unexplained Noise

The noise started yesterday and I cant figure out what it is. It sounded like it was coming from the center console so I took that off and drove with it to see if anything fell down in there but no luck. It sounds like it is coming from in front of the center console (toward the engine) and from underneath the car. Whenever I put it into drive or reverse it makes a vibrating sound, like metal on metal, and gets worse the more I accelerate. I think it might be a problem with the tranny but I am hoping that its not. The engine and tranny have about 102k on them and its all stock parts. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Check if your exhaust is hitting the crossmember. You'll have to look with a flashlight while somebody else is shifting from "P" to "D" or "R" - the engine moves a little.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

The noise isnt during the shift though, its while the car is in a gear. It makes the noise while idling in drive or reverse (most noticably reverse) and the noise increases as I accelerate. It never made this sound before either. If that is the cause, would it have just randomly started making it?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

check the 02 sensors on the exhaust, make sure they are not loose.