General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

my engine is broken...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my engine is broken...

So I went ot the movie theater tonight, and I pulled in and parked my car. the movie wasnt going to be for a while so we decided to go to the book store, and i went to start the car again and it made the most horrible clackity noise ive ever heard and wouldnt idle or run right at all. It had been running perfectly before I shut it off though. I turned if off and after playing with it some, I tried pulling the fuses for the fuel injectors and it still sounded bad turning over and it took a few seconds for the oil pressure to come up. The engine has had a bit of a tap for a long time when the engine gets very warm (after being on the highway for a long time, or after driving it very very hard) and today it seemed to be tapping more then usual. I never noticed the oil pressure do anything unusual though. So Im gonna take it to the shop thats across the street which ive worked with before. someone tell me my engine isnt toast....
Old 12-17-2006, 09:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Have you checked the oil level recently?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

yeah it was fine, i just changed it two weeks ago and i checked it right afterwards and it was right on the dot
Old 12-19-2006, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Could be oil pump or a rod knock
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

It was bent push rods for me. I turned it off put gas in started it and that loud noise. Take your valve covers off and I bet you find bent and/or broken push rods. Only took me about 2 hours to change all of mine out.