General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bleeding brakes after rear-end install

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default bleeding brakes after rear-end install

so i get the new rear end in and the brake pedal is non existant...eventually the fronts work so i can drive it but the rears just don't seem like they're working at all.

and here's the kicker, and i might sound like a newb but i honestly don't know how to go about bleeding the rear drum brakes. yes i have drums, i took the bleeder cap off and pumped them but that didn't help much at all...

can somebody help me out
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year car?

First thing is you need to make sure the master cylinder is full, now come the long and drawn out fun part. You will need one more person for this one. You will need to remove the rear wheels and put the rear end on jackstands and start with the wheel the furthest from the master cylinder and pump the brakes and hold them pumped. Then open the bleeder on the right rear wheel system and let the air out. Close the bleeder before the person releases the brake pedal. Continue this until you get some fluid, but make sure you stop and check the master cylinder to make sure it is full. you do not want to introduce air in the system after getting out other wise you will have to start all over again.

once that side is done then go to the left rear side and do the same and dont forget to check the master cylinder for fluid. do this until the brakes return for the rear system.

It would be wise to go ahead and blead the fronts with the same procedure as well just o make sure they do not have any air in thier system.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

my car is 1995 3.4 liter V6 firebird with rear drum brakes

btw THANK YOU for that info...that's amazing
Old 12-19-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice arctic white car. Keep the brake fluid off it.