General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will not idle

Like the title says that car for some reason just wont idle anymore cold or hot. It idled perfect today, I changed the oil and pulled it back into my driveway and let it warm up, idled like a champ. Its done this before and Id cut the key off completly and sit for a min and it use to idle after that but now even after sitting for over an hour it wont idle. I have to press the gas to get it to fire or itll just spin. It runs if u keep ur foot on the gas and runs smooth going down the road with great power but once I press the clutch to brake it nose drives and dies. This is not only really pissing me off but very dangerous as I lose brakes and steering. So WTF is going on? Im gonna spray Wd-40 around the engine bay to look for leaks, other than that im at a lose. I did plugs and wires not 2000 miles ago and it runs smooth above the 1000RPM idle mark.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Have you looked at the stop-screw on the throttle body?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess would be a vacuum leak somewhere. Do you hear any hissing under the hood or any noises at all?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The intake hiss is to loud for me to hear any leaks. Its raining and dark so I cant mess with it tonight. When it started doing this and it didnt stop I went home, so I can take a look tomarrow
Old 01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well I tried it this morning and its doing the same ****. I checked to make sure all the plugs are tight and they were. It wouldnt idle at all so I unplugged the MAF and started it, it ran rough like it had a skip and the SES immedietly came on. Im gonna clear it and mess with the stop screw to see if itll idle. I know its gonna affect throttle position but I got to get it to idle so I can spray WD40 for leaks.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like another dirty IAC valve, remove it from the TB and clean it with carb cleaner.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I scanned it and I had 2 codes, but no SES light. 1 was Random Multiple Cylinder Missfire and the other was Low input Mass Volume. The misfires I always get, iv tried plugs and wires and it didnt help so im sure its in the tune. The Mass code was from me unplugging it to see if it would respond, it did, it ran rough. I cleared the codes and started it, it ran perfect, dunno why with those codes it wouldnt idle, guess ill keep my scanner in the car.