General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loose stearing column

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loose stearing column

I was looking at a 93 Z28 today that was pretty cheap. It had expected cosmetic issues, but that was to be expected.
The only mechanical issue I saw was that the stearing column seemed kinda loose. There was a little bit of play to the left and right before it affected steering.

How hard is that to fix?

The car had the 700r4 with 2.73's, so it didn't move that fast.........but other wsie, good dd.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There might be too much gear lash; you can check the gear mesh preload. You’d just have to go through and check the steering system if that’s not it. Does it wander on the highway?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

It didn't wander, just a little play to the left and right, kinda like it needed to be tightened.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are a pair of bolts that connect the steering coupler first to the steering shaft and second to the rack input. Those might be loose so check those out.

However, LT1s (and v6s, FYI) use a steering coupler with a rag joint. It's a piece of crap waiting to fail. It is big and round and has a piece of cloth material sandwiched between two discs. Switch over to the double u joint LS1 style coupler. It can be had for $15 or so. See if that doesn't fit your problem.

While you are at it you could switch over to an LS1 rack - there are two ratios, both of which are quicker than the LT1/V6 rack. Do it all at once and it should cost you about $120. It is a direct bolt on swap - no mods necessary.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Switch over to the double u joint LS1 style coupler. It can be had for $15 or so. See if that doesn't fit your problem.

While you are at it you could switch over to an LS1 rack - there are two ratios, both of which are quicker than the LT1/V6 rack. Do it all at once and it should cost you about $120. It is a direct bolt on swap - no mods necessary.

does that work from all 98-02 models to a 94 trans am? the rack is something i might have replace this week, and if the ls1 unit is better and a direct swap ill see what kinda price i can get on that if need be. see you learn something every day.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as I know, all 4th gens are interchangable. The only difference is the coupler and the rack ratio internal to the rack itself. I've put LS1 racks on V6s before. V6 and LT1 is the same rack, so you should be able to swap to an LS1 rack and coupler no problem.

I researched with a guy not long ago and it turns out there are two ratios that came in LS1 cars, and the only physical difference is the rack output tab is slightly different in angle.

Either one is better than the LT1/V6 rack, and the coupler is absolutley better than the LT1/V6 rag joint.

The only other thing you may need to do is get an alignment - it is recommended after a rack swap. I didn't do one on my last one and it was fine for a long time.

You will like it - it is like driving a new car.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where can those parts be had?

thanks for the reply's!!!