General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headgasket leaking oil on LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headgasket leaking oil on LT1?

Hello I am new to the forum, forgive me for not knowing this but I am not very mecanicly inclined,

I bought a 1995 trans am six speed a few days ago for pretty cheap, I took it to the shop and it wasn't firing one one cyilinder, that turned out to be a sparkplug and was replaced. I have no idea how long it was driven that way tho.

and it had 3 oil leaks, one was from the oil pan, which had no gasket, they fixed that. the other was from I think the guy said around the oil filter area? not sure but they fixed that. The third is from the headgasket, and they said they won't fix that, they told me that I should just drive it and keep adding oil to it, and not drive it hard, and I will be fine.

Well I don't want to drive it light, I want to have the problem fixed, I would like to get the engine running good again, meaning I will fix what needs to be fixed as it comes along.

When I asked why they would not replace it I was told that when pulling the head they could break the studs trying to get it off, the head could not match back up and have to be sent to the machine shop, and once done and put back on, could cause all sorts of other problems?

so if they break the a stud or a few of em removing the engine can't they drill them out or are they going to be broken permenitly?

if it has to be machined to match back up I am fine with that.

what kind of other problems can it cause? Also The lt1 has two heads right?meaning two head gaskets? so would I want to just go ahead and replace both if have the money just to get one extra thing done I won't have to do later?

also what would an estimate on a head gasket, or both "assuming there is 2 heads" cost aproxx?

sorry for all the dumb and newb questions.
Thanks in advanced.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seriously doubt that a cylinder head gasket is leaking oil. It's common on many OHC cam engines, but certainly not anything that GM puts out. Most likely a poor diagnosis. LT1s are notorious for leaking from the intake end seals, which could be misdiagnosed as a cylinder head gasket. Find another shop! Resealing the intake isn't that expensive... usually around $250 parts and labor.

LT1s don't use head studs, they use bolts. And the bolts very rarely break off. It just sounds like they don't want to do the work.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ye it has 2 heads lol.... its a "V" motor, one on each side, and if the oil is coming from the back of the motor, then yea its the intake leaking. no big deal. and about the oil filter leakage, someone probably didnt check to see if the oil ring came off with their old filter when they changed the oil and left it on... go to a different shop, sounds like a bunch of retards....call them and tell them the lt1 has bolts and not studs on the heads, then see what they say, i dont think id want them working on my **** n e way :/

Quick Reply: Headgasket leaking oil on LT1?