General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor questions before repairing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window motor questions before repairing

The driver's side window motor (at least that's what I think it is) has gone out on my 02 Z28, just as it had done on my 00 Z28. My girlfriend's dad can acquire the parts for vehicles for at-cost pricing, but I just want to confirm that it is generally the motor itself that goes out. When my 2000 Z28 window motor crapped out, it was the window motor and a couple other related things that needed to be replaced. I'm unfamiliar with all of the parts in the door and what makes the window work, so I guess my question is:

Is it typically just the window motor that goes out or are there other parts that can effect it?

The window used to just go up and down slowly, then reached a point where it would simply stop in mid-stage up or down and not go anywhere. Now it goes down aout an inch or two and then stops and won't move until I let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Does that sound like the window motor itself?

I'd just hate to buy the parts, rip open the door, and need other parts.

Thanks for any help you can provide guys!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The motor has a thermal cut out, so when its under load, like reaching the end stop it will eithe roverload the motor (thermal cut out) or the control circuity detects current and stop supplying power.

Generally its the motor that goes. I've heard of people removing the thermal cut out in the motor and it moves much faster.

I got 4 motors, as i expect them to go every couple of years, and being in England it was cheaper for me to buy 4 because of shipping. I brought them for $30 each, I dont think they are a sponser. The did have cheaper ones for $20 but I wanted the GM ones.

There is removal instruations on a forum, that where I learned to change mine. Watch the darn spring its like a viper ready to bite, hapened so fast, lucily something knocked my hand out the way before the scisor action took my finger off. Anyqay it wont all spring apart on you until you are drilling out the rivots that hold the motor to th scissor looking structore. You can take the whole assembly our of a hole in the door, then work on it on a bench.

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the factory service manual instructions tell you to remove the entire regulator, there is absolutely no need to do so.

If you follow these instructions, you can install the new motor in under a half hour:
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I recently changed my motor using the above instructions and it could not have been any easier. Last summer I changed a window motor following the factory service manual instructions, it took nearly 4 hours to complete, and was very dangerous due to the regulator spring.

Use the above instructions and you will be very happy.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been drilling them out like that since my first one 10 years ago.. Its amazing how easy it is and you dont have to worry about it looking like *** cause its covered up.