General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unknown issues....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown issues....

Is there anyone in the Chicago area that would be willing to look at my WS6? I seems to have some weird issues that I've never seen on either of my LT1 cars. I brought it to the delearship and they said it was completely fine. Here's what seems to be wrong, and if its normal just let me know. I havent had a car with this low of mileage unless I bought it new.

Valve train/engine knock on start up, goes away once warm
High oil pressure on start up, decline to 40 once warm
Hesitation in idle after warm up
possibly low gas mileage
RPM's nose dive on hard stops, can visually see lights dim.

I've changed the oil since I bought her, didnt find anything crazy in there. All other fluids look good, only had to add a little power steering. I've scoped the car myself and cant seem to find anything that would cause the hesitation. All 4 O2 sensors seem to be working properly, and there are no current or pending trouble codes. This car is either a mystery or I'm completely missing something.

BTW incase the previous owner is on here or someone knows him, this car was bought from Sullivan Pontiac in Arlington Heights, I was told the original owner bought it there brand new. Car had 16,7xx on it when I took delivery of it. I could use any information you might have on trying to find whats wrong if anythng with this car.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing you describe is most likely piston slap, very very common with LS1s, especially the 01-02s.

How high is the oil pressure on start up?

As far as the idle, you might consider taking apart the throttle body/IAC and giving it a good cleaning to make sure there is no oil residue/gunk prohibiting it from working correctly.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Oil presure on start up sits at the hash mark between 40 and 80. It goes half of that distance to 80 when I apply throttle. After about 15 min or so (cant tell with the weather around here) it goes down to 40. I'm running royal purple 5w-30 with a little larger oil filter, I think its a mobile 1 m107. It expanded my oil capacity by .5 quarts.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I took the air box apart tonight (while waiting for the paint to dry from the CETA mod...) and I found a little bit of carbon build up on the TB. Nothing seemed to be preventing it from closing all the way but I cleaned it out anyways. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to test it, I want to make sure the paint is 100% dried.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Teching In

I was under the impression that higher oil pressure on a cold start was normal? Mine's always been like that up until it gets to operating temperature when it drops to regular levels.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

high pressure is normal on start up.....
Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah every car I've ever had has higher oil pressure on startup so thats normal. the noises that LS1's make when they are cold is normal too. just as long as it quiets down when its warm.

what kind of mileage are you getting now? I get around 17-20 mpg with mixed 50/50 expressway and traffic driving.

diming lights is a common LS1 F-bod thing. My cars lights dim on hard stops, when the AIR pump turns on, when I first crank the vent to max, and when I first turn on the defogger as well. I'v eben driving my car like this for 2 years now no problem.

Hesitation though I don't know. Try changing the fuel filter.. or check the plugs.. or check the MAF.. sometimes a leaf can get up in the airbox and it will get stuck to the screen on the MAF especially if you are running a K&N because those have a small gasket and usually don't seal well.... actually does the MAF have a screen? mabey someone de-screened it which tends to screw up the idle.

Where are you in the burbs? I'm in the NW suburbs..