General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

door windows rail grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door windows rail grease

my driver side window is acting up. its always been alot slower than the passenger side.. go figure.. it also rattled so i hunhooked the panel and tightend the brace things alittle. still not even as tight as the passenger side. anyhow i looked inside the door where all the rails and such are that glide back and forth and dust is caked up all over the rails/wheels and such. anyhow now my windows sometimes wont work fully. it will go up a few inches then stop ect. and it will move again if i wait like 10 minutes. also when it stops moving and i push the button more. i can hear a buzz click sound coming from like behind the steering wheel/ around where the fuses are. anyhow im gonna go to AA and try and get some grease and try cleaning out everythign and regreasing it all. and see if that will help. what type of grease lubricant should i get? and has anyone else experienced these same symptoms. note. sometimes the windows will go up and down all the way. just like normal though still slow like its always been but unaturally slower than the passenger side.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a new window motor. They tend to go out alot in these cars i'm on my third drivers side motor. Greasing them is a plus, I just put some white lithuim grease on the rails and wheels.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i just greased it as much as i could. but it didnt work motor is still to weak.

how hard is it to replace the motor? only way i can see getting to it is compltely removing the metal framing apart. which looks easier said than done lol.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not difficult - I used http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html For a Camaro but basically the same.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

+1 on the shbox site... just did my driver's side for the 1st time. Make sure you get a window motor with a lifetime replacement warrentee since these tend to crap out a lot. Should run around $50-60 and take you a couple hours to install by yourself.