General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ticking noise from engine area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ticking noise from engine area?

I jsut got my '93 Z the other day and I just seafoamed it and can hear a clicking sound in the engine bay. If it isn't normal, then I would like to know what it could be. It isn't really loud, but loud enough for me to notice it.

It is on the passenger side of the engine, sounds like its down on the side of the engine, but I could be wrong. My dad said he's worried it's a valve or something, but I don't know how much he knows about them.

Also, is it possible that an exhaust leak on that side could make that noise? When I was seafoaming it and all the smoke started coming out I noticed that there was some smoke coming up from the passenger side of the engine. So I don't know if that means an exhaust leak on the manifold or what.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Launching!

It could be alot of things you need to narrow it down. Exhaust or Head. If its exhaust thats obvious its a leak if it coming from the head there are a few more possibilities. Lifter, pushrod, or rocker. Thats if you are lucky.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

there might be dirt on top of the valves
Old 04-15-2007, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Is there a good possibility thats its an exhaust leak? Can that sound like a ticking noise? I just think it's weird that there would be smoke coming from over there after I seafoamed it.