General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Do miles mtter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do miles mtter?

I was wondering if when doing an oil chang does mileage matter on what oil weight i should be using?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

The oil mileage question is a touchy one but most synthetic oils these days are good for much longer than suggested in your manual or lube centers. It is always good to be consistent when changing your oil, but its not really going to hurt your engine if you go even 1000 miles over the suggested change period. I would recommend changing it regularly but if you are not able to its not going to cause any major problems if you let it go for a short while.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he meant does the car's mileage matter, not the miles between changes. Some companies do make oil designed for high mileage engines. I couldn't tell you how they are different from regular oil, try going to different oil manufacturer's websites and seeing what they say about their high mileage engine formulas. Personally I just plan on using regular 5W30 indefintitely regardless of mileage, but these oils may have some benefit I'm not aware of.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

the only difference between higher mileage oil and regular oil is the higher mileage has special friction modifiers and fluid conditioners to protect seals.