General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

brake lights wont work

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake lights wont work

I have a 01 ws6 and I changed the bulbs, the brake switch by the pedal, and I checked all the fuses. My brake light on my wing work but the other ones dont. They light up when I turn my lights on but dont get brighter when i step on the brakes. I just dont know what to do next. any info will help
Old 04-16-2007, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the correct bulbs? Seems like you either got the single filament, or the wrong one all together. I haven't seen what my 93 uses, but I assume yours uses something like a 3157 plastic-plug style?

Or check the taillight harness ground? I think it'd effect the 3rd too, but *shrug* I'm just tossing out ideas.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Check the brake light switch on the brake pedal. When they start to stick, it's time to replace. (again, if the third is working, that may not be it.)
Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He replaced that.

Make sure EVERY bulb is in, and seated properly. I forgot that, that can cause problems too, interrupts the circute.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrong bulb.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:19 PM

could be in line fuses.. ask a shop
Old 04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude I feel your pain, Spoiler light works but the main 2 don't. Mines an 01 also, I was told it was the multifunction switch, or turn signal switch if thats what you want to call it. It supposidly ties in the turn signals and break lights all in one switch. Went to the dealer and the part was $175, $370 installed by Gm dealer down the street here. I really hope this is the problem because I don't feel like wasting my money!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Launching!

do you have an after market radio or any accesories that have been custom wired?These types of things have happpend to me and alot of buddys rides wires that are making contact or a live wire is touching the body since its all ground.Flooring your car or stoping in a fast rate can make a live wire rub againts the body creating circuit problems.This may not sound like it has to do with the brakes but dont know why when I have a live wire touchin the body it makes my brake lights go out or maybe your bulbs are not making contact that also happens to mt suburban or vette that little dang wire on the bulb yeah just make it stick out a little more that its suposto well hope you figure it out.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car has the stock monsoon with no after market subs or anything like that, I just went to the GM dealer today and they said "well we can do a diagnostic check for $90 and then go from there and Im like dang $90 just for the diognostic, not including anything else. Plus I don't want to take it there because dealers sometimes sell you stuff you don't need. And the funny thing is I no nothing about wiring and don't know how to change the switch myself, or even if it really is just the switch!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:23 AM
On The Tree

what area are you in?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im in Oak Forest, IL near Orland, Tinley Park, Palos Hills.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by somws6bird
Im in Oak Forest, IL near Orland, Tinley Park, Palos Hills.
Oh well I was gonna tell you to drive down to my house so I could take a look at it if you lived in SoCal.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:13 PM

This topic caught my attention because I'm having the same problem with my car. I drive a 1998 Firebird V6.. I recently purchased it less than a month ago, and the car is in great shape for it's age and mileage. It's got 150k on the motor but engine is clean and seems to have no problems. I'm probably going to have it inspected this coming weekend. The only work I've did thus far is replace my 2 back tires because they were ehavily worn. One day as I was pulling out of the drive way, it was bung to my attention that my middle break light work, but my others did not.. My parking lights function properly and come on.. ect.. I dont think it has anything to do with the bulbs and this has really got me scratching my head.. I've checked fuses and some wiring, and everything seems to be in order.. Perhaps it is the bulbs.. has anyone had this same problem and fixed it.. how did you fix it, and how much is it looking to cost me?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to the dealer again and this time the parts guy showed me a 3D model of the whole wiring near the turn signals. I want to know if its just the lever with the little connection on the end that needs to be changed or if theres another switch everyone is talking about.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Good luck, but I had the same prob on my '01. I tried bulbs, grounds, fuses, etc. Eventually, I disconnected a wiring harness low on the steering wheel while chasing the switch lines and after reconnecting it everything worked.
A couple months later, the two brake lights stopped working again. This time I removed the same plug and sprayed and brushed it with electonics cleaner. It has been working fine for over a year now. Not a real elegant solution and not likely to work for everyone, but it is cheap and easy to try.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Help, I am having the same problem. I replaced all bulbs and checked all the fueses? I guess it's down to checking wires.....
does anyone have any other ideas what would cause this? I have the exact same issue with only the 3rd brake light working...?